Reaction score
Vancouver, Washington & Siicon Valley, California
Website
www.linkedin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
PHOTOGRAPHS ARE MADE NOT TAKEN
I am a firm believer that "Photographs are Made not Taken"

Cameras do not see what we see & cannot record what we feel.

Cameras are merely mechanical devices without a soul.

Cameras can collect information, but their images do not communicate our memories and feelings without development.

The Raw file is the equivalent to the Composer's score,
while developing the image is the Performance

Developing images allows us to express our vision and tell our story so you can see what we see.

- Stevn De Lozada -

So you started a thread to promote yourself?

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah... *yawn*

(It's edited now, but the second post was simply a link to his own website.)

Last edited:
You typed this as if these words are your own, a quick search shows they aren’t.

PHOTOGRAPHS ARE MADE NOT TAKEN
I am a firm believer that "Photographs are Made not Taken"

Cameras do not see what we see & cannot record what we feel.

Cameras are merely mechanical devices without a soul.

Cameras can collect information, but their images do not communicate our memories and feelings without development.

Developing images allows us to express our vision and tell our story so you can see what we see.

- Stevn De Lozada -
Steve, I for one think that’s pure BS!
Who said that, Ansel?
Sure sometimes we spend hours making a photograph then spend even more hours in PS trying to justify something that was crap from the get-go!
Other times, such as in sports or even wildlife we just shoot fast and furious, sure, using all our skills and experience but still were just hoping a few good ones come out. This is just the snapshot vs photograph BS repacked by people that can’t shoot to start with.
why don’t you show us a pic that was “made” and well sed if it appears to be made?!
Some people take snapshots and win a Pulitzer Prize, others take days making junk.
It has more to do with skill level and born-with talent than any definition of how images are actually created?
SS

I think the snap shot can be important and is not really made per say. Such as I did this weekend with the family by the pool, just recorded a day that will be cherished many years later. As far as making photographs, for me, it is the deliberate actions required to complete the pre-visualization idea. Additionally, humbling myself, not taking myself to seriously, and enjoying the process of photography, is the joy of the medium.

I know over the years I've TAKEN at least a dozen (possibly even hundreds) quite unintentionally. They're certainly not made, but still photographs even if they're completely rubbish.

It may be true that GOOD photographs are made - for sports it's a case of choosing the right spot to shoot from & appropriate settings before the action starts - but luck can certainly have a part to play too :)

You seem to saying that your image must be "developed" by (presumably) editing your Raw file. Do I understand you correctly?

There may be other ways to accomplish the same outcome.

Fake news. The end.

Sophestry

Screenshot_20200706-165708_Chrome.jpg

I like Derrel's post! Yes, sophistry indeed. In any case whether you use "take" or "make" frankly it has no incidence on the production. As far as I am concerned I use both... although I must say "make" evokes staged photography and take sounds as if the person behind the camera has no responsibility and say in the matter. Let us settle for "we photograph"! ;O)

I always liked the word "capture". Moments happen all around us and constantly. My opinion is that its our job as photographers to capture those moments we think are important. Snap or art is merely that which we choose to do next.

I don't understand the excited, negative responses.
The OP made a statement that might have been controversial 15 years ago but anything at all argumentative about it has been washed away by the flood of technology and experience.
I 'make' pictures virtually all the time because what I 'take' isn't close enough to what I want.

Most reactions

Back