Photography AA degree $46000.00 ??? with a "Free $700.00 Nikon" -- THOUGHTS PLEASE ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about this? Go to AI then in 2 years we'll see if you can get my order right in the drive thru.

Seriously? That's like two years of med school... and you can come out of med school and (after a residency) make half a million dollars a year... Why would ANYONE pay that much for schooling in photography? Use the internet, and practice!! Guaranteed ALL of the information you are going to receive in that program is available SOMEWHERE in books, or on the internet, or any number of sources. Which you could use for free (ie. the library...) and then use your money to rent studio space or buy a fantastic camera, or both...... and end up with A LOT of hands on hours that will teach you more than you'd ever learn when you can't focus because you are to worried about defaulting on the worlds most over priced school loan....

I can't even believe this is being discussed... who would do this? Learning photography can be a worthwhile endeavor; but they won't be able to teach you anything in that course that is going to make you a truly phenomenal photographer.

You have to discover that in yourself...

$46,000 dollars.... lol

Dahrol. Stop the obnoxious clinging to these mystical reviews that haven't /had said this or that. You're really going to ignore the collective voice of this forum, among us lifetime hobbyist, semi-pros and current/retired pros?

Seriously, stop thinking for just a moment. Stop drooling over this art school that's going to gouge you and outfit you with a useless degree. Stop your forward momentum:

We stopped now? Good.

I want you to imagine yourself in this alternate universe where you've somehow managed to escape the black hole of AA... Here we go:

Now, imagine yourself going out tomorrow and getting a professional camera (not that crappy entry level NIKON they're charging a $45,000 markup on).

You've also bought yourself some fast glass, a nice tripod , and ocf, and all the gear a little boy could ever dream of. You're 10k deep, and its you and your camera against the world.

You go outside and start taking pictures. Friends, family, strangers . You Study, read, post online for feedback, get better fast. You draw inspiration from pros, you listen to experts.

You Take your rabid enthusiasm, develop some real world skill that actually matters, build up your portfolio and learn learn learn.

Then, once you're really good (I've seen a lot of your pics and you've got a looooong way to go, no offense), then you can figure out the business side of this thing.. which is a whole different animal.

Flash forward two years. look at you now! Very little debt in comparison, you've got great gear and a ton of real world experience.

Doesn't that sound nice?

Something must be screaming in the back of your mind that this isn't right, or you wouldn't be trying so hard to convince people here that it's a good thing... we are not the ones that need convincing.

Spend your 46K...... the economy needs stimulating.

Well, it sounds like you are completely sold on this. Now I wonder why you even asked.

I didn't.

cgipson1 wanted to make the topic, and I told him "sure."

Has anyone mentioned that you are spending THAT much for what you could learn here on this forum for *gasp* FREE? Seriously. Do some searches, read some threads, check out the feedback members leave others. Youll learn more about exposure, compensation, light, post processing, etc by simply paying attention and (your own words) doing what you love.

Think about this- why do they have such a high drop-out rate? Maybe people come to their senses, get tired of getting ripped off, and abandon ship while they can.

Oh, and for $400 you can have my old Nikon DSLR. It's a D40 with 18,000 actuations and going strong.

Last edited:
Dahrol. Stop the obnoxious clinging to these mystical reviews that haven't /had said this or that. You're really going to ignore the collective voice of this forum, among us lifetime hobbyist, semi-pros and current/retired pros?

Seriously, stop thinking for just a moment. Stop drooling over this art school that's going to gouge you and outfit you with a useless degree. Stop your forward momentum:

We stopped now? Good.

I want you to imagine yourself in this alternate universe where you've somehow managed to escape the black hole of AA... Here we go:

Now, imagine yourself going out tomorrow and getting a professional camera (not that crappy entry level NIKON they're charging a $45,000 markup on).

You've also bought yourself some fast glass, a nice tripod , and ocf, and all the gear a little boy could ever dream of. You're 10k deep, and its you and your camera against the world.

You go outside and start taking pictures. Friends, family, strangers . You Study, read, post online for feedback, get better fast. You draw inspiration from pros, you listen to experts.

You Take your rabid enthusiasm, develop some real world skill that actually matters, build up your portfolio and learn learn learn.

Then, once you're really good (I've seen a lot of your pics and you've got a looooong way to go, no offense), then you can figure out the business side of this thing.. which is a whole different animal.

Flash forward two years. look at you now! Very little debt in comparison, you've got great gear and a ton of real world experience.

Doesn't that sound nice?

no

Something must be screaming in the back of your mind that this isn't right, or you wouldn't be trying so hard to convince people here that it's a good thing... we are not the ones that need convincing.

Spend your 46K...... the economy needs stimulating.

k

2 years, not 4.

2 / 4 6 8 whatever. Argument remains the same

And if someone is giving 110% but the school hasn't given 110%, then why isn't that showing up on any reviews? It's always "I tried it and then quit" or "I heard it was a scam" or "I had to stop going because I couldn't afford it."

Tried and quit = ??? Not enough info. They quit cause they goofed off and were failing = they didn't give 110%, but they quit cause they didn't like what the school was teaching them falls under the school not giving back 110%
"It was a scam" = School did not give 110%.
"Had to stop cause of cash" = useless review. Doesn't say whther it was good or not.

Therefore, if nobody has given 110%, there is no way of gauging whether the school gave 110% back, because those who have given that negative review likely never even gave 75%.

Those are the ones who would rather try to let the degree do the talking, and then are disappointed later when they find that a degree doesn't mean anything in this day and age. They're a dime a dozen.

...soo by this, you're assuming that if they gave a negative review they did not give 110%. Again, you are asking us to find something that you are trying not to find and will argue away.

Your right though, you should ignore all the comments from everyone here since we are SOOOO invested in this compared to the positive reviews found on the website of the company who will be getting your money.

Dahrol said:

What's your opinion about the Art Institute of Indianapolis? - Yahoo! Answers

Make sure you read the other 4 comments. 2 people who are graduates of the art institute of Indianapolis commented and one parent of a former student commented

"There is NO campus to speak of"

Here is a link to a photo of the campus? - http://thislifeissparklingdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/4867706514_7bfd1a6d20_z.jpg

(EDIT: Photo removed per TPF FAQ's, link to photo left instead. KmH)

Last edited by a moderator:
2 years, not 4.

2 / 4 6 8 whatever. Argument remains the same

And if someone is giving 110% but the school hasn't given 110%, then why isn't that showing up on any reviews? It's always "I tried it and then quit" or "I heard it was a scam" or "I had to stop going because I couldn't afford it."

Tried and quit = ??? Not enough info. They quit cause they goofed off and were failing = they didn't give 110%, but they quit cause they didn't like what the school was teaching them falls under the school not giving back 110%
"It was a scam" = School did not give 110%.
"Had to stop cause of cash" = useless review. Doesn't say whther it was good or not.

Therefore, if nobody has given 110%, there is no way of gauging whether the school gave 110% back, because those who have given that negative review likely never even gave 75%.

Those are the ones who would rather try to let the degree do the talking, and then are disappointed later when they find that a degree doesn't mean anything in this day and age. They're a dime a dozen.

...soo by this, you're assuming that if they gave a negative review they did not give 110%. Again, you are asking us to find something that you are trying not to find and will argue away.

Your right though, you should ignore all the comments from everyone here since we are SOOOO invested in this compared to the positive reviews found on the website of the company who will be getting your money.

exactly

Please don't feed the troll. It's not worth it.

Dahrol, I'm just going to say what everyone is thinking: You're hopelessly naive and stubborn.

But luckily, only you will be forced to live with the consequences.

Adios, mate. Don't let reality hit your a$$ on the way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back