Photography and the graphic arts.

Torus34

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Every once in a while I come across something which reminds me of the difference between photography and the graphic arts [drawing and painting]. We're all aware of the fact that photography includes a constantly changing technological component but there are other differences, too.

One is the speed with which new concepts take hold. In the graphic arts a major 'movement' such as impressionism may take many years to establish itself. In photography, something like HDR seems to spread like wildfire. In the graphic arts there's been little or nothing new in brushes since the introduction of nylon bristles. In cameras there seems to be a new development every couple of years.

The rapid spread of techniques and new gear in photography can lead to another interesting phenomenon: fads. This was nicely demonstrated to me last night as I browsed through a book in my stacks, 'Composition in Art', Henry Rankin Poore, Dover Publications, Inc, New York, 1976. The author covers the problems faced by an artist in composing a picture without a single mention of ... the 'Rule of Thirds'!

In photography you can get most new techniques down in the better part of a week.

You can say the same for the graphic arts except you would need to substitute year for week.

This would tend to explain why us ADOS (Attention Deficit Oooh Shiny) types gravitate towards photography. ;)

Interesting topic. Personally, I'm enjoying photography more since it gives me more artistic freedom. I have been working in the graphic arts industry for more 10 years already and I have always been restricted to what the clients want. (Sorry if this somehow sounds a little out of topic LOL).

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

Graphic design is my day job.. that's probably why I like photography. I don't have to think as much about ideas and concepts... at least not with the style I shoot anyway.

im also a graphic designer full time for 12 years now, an i LOVE having the ability to combine my formal skillset with my passion for photography.

i think i would die without photoshop in my pro and personal life :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back