Photography and Time

Torus34

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There are a few hobbies that are time-dependent. One's listening for distant AM radio stations. The AM DX-er treasures certain times. Two are dawn and dusk. North-south AM transmission improves during both periods. Another's midnight. Sometimes a station will sign off at midnight, clearing the frequency for a more distant one to be heard.

So it is with me and photography. I'm a dawn nut. There's something about dawn's early light [Sorry!] that I find addicting. To photograph something struck by the first rays of the sun, 'specially when there are dark clouds to the west, is a special event for me. The natural contrast of the lighting beats Photoshop(r)-ing any old day.

How 'bout you? Are you photographically time-sensitive?

Sunrise to 11 AM, and 3 PM until sunset are my favorite outdoor times. I usually, but not always, want some type of direction to the light, to create shadows which show dimension, shape, spatial relationships between the near, mid-distance, and far objects. Of course, location plays a huge part in lighting; in this part of the United STates, there are many large hills, and rtwo sets of high mountain ranges, where in either the mornings, or in the evenings, the sun does not "rise" over the tops on the east side, or on the west slope, there are hours and hours of open shade, which is soft, low-contrast light illuminated not by sunlight, but by SKY-light.

Along the Pacific coast beaches here in Oregon, the Coast Raange mountains in effect make "sunrise" occur three to four or even six hours AFTER the typical sunrise times in the Valley, located 60 miles to the east. It all depends on the location; you can be in the shadow of the mountains until noon...

Take of the lure of photography is the challenge. I like tough lighting conditions ... tough lighting hammers at my skills and experiences. When/if I get something decent, I feel much more accomplished than when I get something decent under good lighting conditions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back