photography as a career, or as a backup

Unless you can read the future, don't even try to.

I'm in Europe so things can be a bit different but I doubt it is that much different because Europe follows US trends pretty closely. And this is what I see: a bunch of kids today who were told to go into conputer repairs who can't get a job because they cranked out the computer repair people so much, there are too many of them...

The new thing today is graphic design. They're sending everyone down that pipeline and tomorrow we will have way too many graphic designers with no sense of design...

Your daughter is young enough. Let her be. Keep an eye on what's going on but don't force it on her.

You may not like it but she needs to make her own mistakes. Live with it.

you must have missed where i said she is asking me the questions?

i do not force my daughter down any path.

she chooses what she would like to do, and i support and encourage her in her descisions.

i give her input. positive and negative.

she asked me about photography versus design. i am in neither field, i didnt have an educated answer so i asked here. as well as asking the several phoographer, and graphic design friends and family members that i have.

to assume that i am forcing something on her, or that i dont like the mistakes she makes, is a silly and unfounded assumption.

This was not really meant for you, more so for those/anyone who think a kid your daughter's age should already choose a direction.

Badly written I guess... :(

College is for experimentation, and exploration. Food for though. :sexywink:

College is for literacy, research and writing skills,...
skieur
You should have gained those in high school. :roll:

Having read some of the posts here, supervised media staff, and having taught university, that has NOT happened. High school grads are still lacking in basic literacy, research and writing skills.

skieur

Last edited:
Unless you can read the future, don't even try to.

I'm in Europe so things can be a bit different but I doubt it is that much different because Europe follows US trends pretty closely. And this is what I see: a bunch of kids today who were told to go into conputer repairs who can't get a job because they cranked out the computer repair people so much, there are too many of them...

The new thing today is graphic design. They're sending everyone down that pipeline and tomorrow we will have way too many graphic designers with no sense of design...

Your daughter is young enough. Let her be. Keep an eye on what's going on but don't force it on her.

You may not like it but she needs to make her own mistakes. Live with it.

Teach her to be a stone mason.

Not a bad idea!;) I paid a stone mason $12,000 for about 2 weeks labour and stones/bricks etc. and that was at a cheap rate.

skieur

Last edited:
I am neither a pro photographer or designer, so take that into account - but I would say design probably has the better paycheck starting out. Once you're established? I don't know. .

Actually the best paycheck starting out is probably in television. I know a high school student (not graduate) who from a work program got offered $60,000 to start immediately as a television editor.

skieur

Most reactions

Back