photography books by Tom Ang?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I walked into my local bookshop for some photography books and there was a series of books by a author called Tom Ang. Is his books considered any good in the photography community

I walked into my local bookshop for some photography books and there was a series of books by a author called Tom Ang. Is his books considered any good in the photography community

Well, I can't speak for the community, but I do have one of his books - Digital Photography Masterclass - it was a gift from my daughter, and it is not that bad. The one thing I like about it is that each topic is kept relatively simple and is covered on two pages - a left page and a right page with pictures on both to support the topic...turn the right page and you have the next topic on two pages. He also gives an assignment for the reader to carry out at the end of each chapter. I keep it on my shelf as I find that it is a good reference book if I want to grab a quick review of a specific topic - I would recommend it to someone who is just getting started in digital photography

The problem that I have with his books that I have looked at, is that they are generally on digital photography as a subject, whereas I am more interested in books on specific types of photography, landscape, wildlife, etc. I guess, it really depends what you are looking for - general or specific - he does write well, in my opinion, it is just that his books are not specific enough for me. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I have "The Complete Photographer" from him. Althought the name is misleading, the book isn't bad. It outlines a few of the major genres of photography (Nature, Portrait, cityscape etc. etc.) and gives examples of the photos and interviews with a pro in each field. It also gives a start to finish "Day in the life" of a photograph, following the photog to the location and such, offering equipment used and settings... as well as post.

It's a cool book, but my recommendation would be to buy it used. The sticker price was a bit rich new.

I've got, 'The Digital Photographer's Handbook'....or something like that. It's OK, it covers a lot of topics.

I have two of his books, "Master Class" and "The Fundamentals Of Photography" which I feel is a good book for anyone, especially if you're just getting started because it explains digital and film and covers it all - the cameras, fundamentals of light, capturing light, manipulating light, basic photography, like the title says - The Fundamentals of photography. ;)

The first and only book of his I have looked at was the Digital Photography Masterclass book.

The layout of the book sucks. It's way to busy and cluttered, making it a real chore to follow the information.

I have two of his books, "Master Class" and "The Fundamentals Of Photography" which I feel is a good book for anyone, especially if you're just getting started because it explains digital and film and covers it all - the cameras, fundamentals of light, capturing light, manipulating light, basic photography, like the title says - The Fundamentals of photography. ;)

I too have both of these.

They aren't too bad, but aren't too good either.

Most reactions

Back