Photography Business Advice

I would be less concerned about not having sufficient equipment (which I still think is a very relevant concern given what I've read) than I would be concerned about the business plan. It sounds like (and I could be making assumptions, so forgive me) that the OP thinks foot traffic = a percentage of paying customers. This isn't necessarily a fair assumption. I don't know of a single entrepreneur making easy money. I've run a photography business for several years now and I've worked at many different price points. I don't know everything, but having failed and succeeded at every level and having mentored studios at every price point I believe it is true that actually getting the critical mass of consistent, paying clients is difficult today and only gets more difficult over time. It sounds like the OP is looking at assets (i.e. equipment, inexpensive real estate) as the factors for generating revenue. Typically it involves some kind of brand value proposition and an enormous amount of soft-skills work to get the money in the door. That's all before you actually have to execute on it.

- trr

Location location location. Most people won't set their photography business up in the hood, and that's a fact. As I told the above poster, the Asians are making a killing because they have no competition anywhere near them. The best thing I have going for me is being smack in the middle of a Spanish neighborhood and the location has weekly concerts with all Spanish bands. Being a vendor I could get permission to set up for people to take pics with the band and pay them a percentage of what we bring in. The location is pretty much a center for the Spanish and black cultures, including food, games, vendors, etc. That's why I'm pretty confident about it.

As far as easy money, I've been in business for myself for 7 years now and I know none of it comes easy. With that said, this seems like a no brainer to be the only cameraman at a concert. The first week or two may be slow, but getting the word out won't be hard if we hire a spanish speaking model to hand out fliers. The overhead is so low that it's impossible not to at least attempt. Thanks for the input.

Todd-you REALLY need to put your blog link in your signature!!!

Check out Todd's Blog: …a Man to Fish…
It's excellent reading and information for anyone wanting to go into this business. He's a master in the business end of this and much respected for it.

It's excellent reading and information for anyone wanting to go into this business. He's a master in the business end of this and much respected for it.

Thank you. I'll read it. I'm always up for learning about business. I'm doing pretty well, but could always do better.

I think I can't put a link in the sig without a certain number of posts...which this response is helping me reach. Thanks!

- trr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back