Photography color question

Amphoteric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a Nikon D40 DSLR camera and have discovered a passion for landscape photography. I find I now stop everyday on my way home from work to take pictures at various spots. When I get home however, I notice the color in my pictures are rather bland.

I know alot of color correcting is done in photoshop, but is there a way to improve my color at the camera?

Also, if you know any online tutorials that can help me to learn how to color correct in photoshop, please post them as I am very eager to learn.

On a slightly related note, any online sources/tutorials that would assist me at becoming better at landscape composition, exposure, and over all quality would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Your manual should be able to explain how to produce best color, also time is important, at certain times of day usually just before dusk + just after dawn is better for lscape type shots, also get a tripod, (essential for LS work) close down the aperture to f16 f22 and take longer exposures for more saturation, but dont overexpose, slight underexposure is better digitally. H

The use of a polariser can enhance the colour saturation under certain circumstances and its effect is very difficult to replicate with Photoshop. This is probably the most useful filter for landscape colour photography. They come in two types: linear and circular (they filter polarised light in 2 different ways but have the same effect). Modern dSLR's won't work with a linear polarising filter, so you should get a circular one.

Welcome to the forum.

What mode are you shooting in, JPEG or RAW? RAW files will give you more versatility and freedom when editing, but they lack some of the pop of JPEG files, right out of the camera.

What/where are you viewing the images when you say that the color is bland? Your computer's monitor? It may or may not be an issue, but to properly judge an image, your monitor should be properly calibrated, which would require a hardware device like the Colorvision Spyder II.

I have found this site to useful for reading up on the basics of digital photography http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
Check out the Understanding Series http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/

Most reactions

Back