Photography consultant needed

john.coleman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, my photography experience is *extremely* limited, that is why I'm posting to this forum.

I'm a software engineer working on a medical imaging project. I have a medical device that captures images using an analog 35mm back. The device has some sort of bayonet mount where the camera is directly attached without lens. My best guess is that it is a k-mount from the pics I've studied on the web.

The medical imaging device (TR50-EX) is currently manufactured by Topcon as well as the camera back (MT-10) which attaches to it. My project requires me to fit a digital camera to the apparatus in place of the analog camera back. We're looking for the best possible image quality as it is for medical purposes. Cost of the camera is not too much a factor.

I am looking for someone knowledgeable in photography to colaborate with on this project. Anyone who has some time and would like to do some consulting work and/or parts sales, please reply. Thanks!

I couldn't find any info on the TR50-EX. If you go to a digital camera, you will need to use an adapter to mount the body to the device. For a camera I would go with a Canon 1Ds, as it's pretty hard to beat in the 35mm film-analogue realm.

Unfortunately a cursory look doesn't turn up a K-mount to Canon EOS adapter. Same with a K-mount to Nikon. Most likely the problem is that the K-mount design puts parts of the lens in places that conflict with parts of the body, as in they both want to occupy the same place. I think the diameter of the K-mount is somewhat large, so any adapter would mount the lens in front of the camera, acting like an extention tube.

Depending upon the design of the TR50, you might be able to replace the K-mount with something you could find an adapter for, like the T-mount or M42. Do you have a picture of the TR50?

Hey, thanks for replying. I'll post a few pics in the morning. It may not even be a K-mount that I have, just a guess from a novice... The pics may help in identification.

I just found info on the Topcon MT-1, which is either Exakta or medical Topcon mount. Actually, that may be the same thing. It looks like there may be an adapter from Exakta to EOS. If that's the case and the MT-10 uses the same mount, I think you'd be in good shape. The trick may be in actually finding the adapter for sale.

I'm off to bed, but we can talk tomorrow.

I couldn't find any information on this topic either. I did find the topcon website (www.topcon.com) they didn't have any info on that particular model, but they did have a trc50-ex, but i couldn't find any info on the mount type. You may want to try emailing them from their website and ask them what they recommend, because the digital back is going to be real expensive and it would suck to get the wrong one.

Ok, talked to Topcon today and they said it was a nikon F-Mount. So, theoretically, I could attach an F-Mount camera to it.

Is the mount on a nikon camera female or male, b/c the mount on the medical device is a female...

mmm, just what I thought. It's backwards. Are there couplers that can reverse the mount?

and sorry about not yet posting images of my device, I'm having a little trouble with my server...

Is this what the camera looks like? That's the Exakta mount.

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

i'm not exactly sure waht this does. Since it says extension ring, i suspect it may have some kind of effect on the image, but i'm sure someone here knows for sure. But something along these lines may be waht you need

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3805920215&category=30059

also after looking at the pic you posted, u may need a camera made by topcan, have you asked them about your specific need?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here's info on the effects of extension tubes.
I talked to John and he mentioned that a spacer was needed to find a full-sized body on, but there wasn't much give in getting magnification without cropping of important parts of the image. I don't think an extender will be able to be used; especially not the 3" he needs.

Most reactions

Back