Photography Contests

MightyLeeMoon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.transmissionfields.com
Wasn't sure where to post this.

But...I hit Google looking for photography contests....found a few....but a lot of it is outdated or just info on how to win said contests.

Is there a good Photography Contest resource?

Watch out for some of those 'contests', they are just ways to get you to buy their Coffee Table book which include your picture at an exorbitant price.

Stay away from contests like Ritz Camera, which does look legit but ends up being the little trap I mentioned above.

Watch out for some of those 'contests', they are just ways to get you to buy their Coffee Table book which include your picture at an exorbitant price.

Stay away from contests like Ritz Camera, which does look legit but ends up being the little trap I mentioned above.

Yea...the couple I entered were exactly that. They wanted something like 60 bucks for a book they are printing the picture in and they even toss in some kind of plaque.

I opted to not to purchase the book from them for their 'special' price and figured...if that sort of thing is real...I'll see it at Barnes and Nobles at some point...and maybe I'll buy it there for me ma.

We usually have some type of photo contest going on at work, but they always have the stupid "no pros" disclaimer. I'm not sure exactly what they mean by this...

I think what they really getting at is "no SLRs", or "no good pictures" - if your photo is too good you will be accused of being a pro and get disqualified.

Once a theme I like (all the photo contests at work have a theme) comes along I'll enter and see what happens...

Photography contests are a method for a company to steal photographic rights from a good photographer. The fine print generally reads that when you submit photos, you lose the rights to those photos whether you win prizes or not.

So it goes like this. As a company, for example, I want photos of scenics with water in the background for advertising purposes. The cost to hire a pro would be several thousand dollars perhaps on top of use rates Instead, I run a contest with eight hundred dollars worth of prizes and create my own rules so that I acquire the rights to use several hundred photos instead of a dozen or fewer.

The sponsor of the contest wins by saving a considerable amount of money . The Photographer LOSES, even if he wins a so-called prize.

skieur

Most reactions

Back