Photography editing software

I've used several different ones over the years including LightRoom and Photo Shop. If you are willing to pay the subscription fee and have a Windows 10 computer, the basic Adobe lightroom/photoshop is hard to beat. Lately I've been using a free program called "Dark Table" It is a free open source program that has many of the same features as lightroom and several that LR doesn't. Gimp is another free open source that is similar to photo shop. If you are just getting started, I'd start with DarkTable and then add Gimp later as they both have a bit of a learning curve. Have fun
darktable - the photo workflow software
darktable 3.4 user manual - overview

I use GIMP mostly and I convert most of my digital images in camera (Fuji system). When I need to edit something that has more feature control and speed, I use Exposure X5. I hate to edit so I strive to get it right in camera. GIMP is fantastic and suits me 75% of the time. Exposure X is very intuitive and easy to use.
My only complaint about GIMP is that it doesn't support Canon Raw formats natively, and due to my particular choices in Linux distributions, upgrading to a new enough version of GIMP where it integrates well with rawtherapee is problematic. So I end up working in Rawtherapee, then sometimes editing those exports in GIMP, if I don't just take the camera jpegs and edit them in GIMP, forgetting the raw file for the moment.
I use DarkTable as the front end for GIMP. It converts my Nikon .nef files for GIMP with no problem. Not sure about Canon but, I'd surprised if DarkTable didn't convert Canon RAW files too.

I have iMac and use Apple's included basic 'Photos' editing program.

Most reactions

Back