photography ethics and people

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketshaver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive been looking around having fun. And noticed something funny on this sight and on others such as photo.net

For the older guys taking photos of women, the age of the women is normally 18-25. And photos of women over 30 seem to be well a ratio of 1 to 10.

So is the use of walking about with a camera the NEW way for old men to meet younger women and have something to talk to them about, as in, "hey im an older idiot with a camera so I am really cool to talk to"?

If you're talking about the portraits, I would imagine that models just tend to be younger?

If you're not talking about the portraits on here, I have no idea what you're talking about. :p

just look through the top two pages of portrait gallery then the nsfw gallery. youll see what I mean here.

First, most photographers who do this as a hobby (or at least not a full-time profession) tend to be middle-aged or older guys. And that's even if they don't shoot models but only landscapes. Or wildlife. Or sports. Or some other genre. I coordinate a photo meet-up group. We have over 1,000 members. All sorts of people. But by far the majority of the members are guys 50 and older.

Lots of reasons why this is so. In large part it's usually because a 50 or 60 year old can afford more gear than a 20 year old can.

Second, most women interested in modeling are going to be younger. Lots of social and cultural reasons why this is so but that's just the nature of things.

As for me personally, I started shooting when I was 14, starting charging for portraits when I was 16, shot more girls (I won't call a 16 y.o. a woman) in my teens than I do now or in the last 20 years of my life (I'm now 62). And I never used a camera or photography as an excuse to meet women. In fact, what I've found is that unless I'm overseas, a camera is a buffer to people. When I'm shooting, it tends to isolate me from people. I have less interaction, I'm less social.

Adding to the above comments. Sad to say society has changed and an older man walking around taking pic of younger women/girls is soon going to stopped and asked a lot of questions here in uk taking photos of kids in public is no longer socially acceptable and a 14 year old photographing girls in public will soon be pulled to on side sad but true

I am 55. I have zero interest in meeting any woman, with or without a camera. I shoot people that interest me when working a street scene or focus/composition trap. Now I do interact occasionally but that is out of respect and transparency. As far as formal or arranged stuff, it is usually mature woman and my wife is always with me. I almost never post any of those types of images as they are made for the model. Keep in mind, I'm mostly an enthusiast / amateur.

I'll soon turn 69, so my circle of friends reflects my age group. I love kids and photographing them (with parents permission) but rarely post them. Not being snobbish but I don't find younger women as attractive as a more mature woman. For me at least the saying "beauty is only skin deep" applies. So many of the young people (men & women) are like brightly wrapped presents. Open the box and there isnt much there, they haven't had that lifetime of living to fill it up.

Ive been looking around having fun. And noticed something funny on this sight and on others such as photo.net

For the older guys taking photos of women, the age of the women is normally 18-25. And photos of women over 30 seem to be well a ratio of 1 to 10.

So is the use of walking about with a camera the NEW way for old men to meet younger women and have something to talk to them about, as in, "hey im an older idiot with a camera so I am really cool to talk to"?

just look through the top two pages of portrait gallery then the nsfw gallery. youll see what I mean here.
Your comments tell us more about you than us. Why are you so concerned about your perceptions of the presumed age of the photographers, and their seemingly out of proportion choice of subject?

Additionally, insulting strangers is not a good way to go through life.

Your comments tell us more about you than us. Why are you so concerned about your perceptions of the presumed age of the photographers, and their seemingly out of proportion choice of subject?

If your the type of person who takes a statement of fact as an insult, I bet you really crap on people who tell you that your socks don't color coordinate with your pants.

Why is it " NEW "(caps) for men to take pictures of women?
Your perceived age disparity is nonsensical, the OP contains no facts, and it's the " older idiot with a camera" part that's insulting.

If your the type of person who takes a statement of fact as an insult, I bet you really crap on people who tell you that your socks don't color coordinate with your pants.

.... your question reveals a lot about you

Your title's reference to "ethics" is perhaps the most-telling aspect of your question. Ethics and behavior...two wildly different things...calling your hidden condemnation a "statement of fact" is kind of telling....when your title belies your unstated condemnation as some type of ethical failing...

apparently photographing a woman under 35 is unethical...never mind that models tend to be younger women aged 18-28... check out ModelMayhem for the ages and stats from tens of thousands of models...nude models, boudoir models, and other types of models.. I would estimate that the median age is 24...half younger than 24, the other half older than 24...but 35 or older? Maybe 1 or 2 or maybe,maybe, 3, out of 50....so, by my estimate established over several years at america's most popular model booking site, from two to six percent of women who consider themselves models are 35 or older...oh the ethics! the ethics!

Last edited:
Two words of advice:

1. Worry about your own ethics because they need some work.

2. It's "Site" not "Sight". Learn English while you're at it.

I had a feeling this thread would grow legs!! :biglaugh:

Its your idiots problems that you think a statement of fact is an insult. It only means that I have hit home with a few of you who are doing this.

Go look at the photo section of people here. Look at the number of pictures of women under 30 then compare to pictures of women over 30. Its basically a 10 to 1 ratio. And the only over 30 woman is the photographers WIFE.

All the others are just young random women getting approached by old men on a street to pose for photos. And I didn't mention the fact that the under 30 women don't have a speck of fat on them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back