Photography for a Sorority

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A girl I work with is part of a sorority and asked me to do the photography. I asked what it would be of, when, etc.

I'm just going to quote her and our conversation:
She asked basically if I would photograph their sorority around Valentine's Day and my response was:
"I have an even photography pricing sheet. Does it need to go through someone for approval? What for, how long and what of?

Her: "We were wanting to do [a] "sweetheart pix" at an event. It would be for like 2 hrs. We were wanting to pay u flat out then charge for the pix so we make a profit.
"We would be printing the pictures but we just want u to take them"

I then told her I would have to let her know. This isn't really formal in the way she asked me either so I told her I would have to get back to her. In other words, I wanted to come here for advice.

The only thing that got me was what she said about they just want me to take the pictures? My going event rate starts at $250/hr w/ a 2 hr minimum. I know they're probably not going to go for $250, $400, let alone $500.

I"m not sure EXACTLY what she is wanting, whether it's just a couple's thing and they are "hosting" the couple to have their pictures taken at this even (I guess it would be considered their "booth" at the event)

What would you do? I wouldn't mind doing it, but I can tell they're not wanting to spend alot. 2 hrs, I'm thinking of just $250. I hate to undercharge, but I know they will be selling my images and I will make nothing, I'm just getting paid for my work, experience. It should be $500 for those 2 hrs, especially considering I will make nothing off prints whatsoever.

Should I set up a percentage of what they sell. I'm not out to break them because it's a sorority, but I'm not going to work for free either.

~Michael~

Bet most Sororities have more money than they ever let on to having, that's how they keep it, by playing poor and trying to take advantage of workin stiffs like you.

Bet most Sororities have more money than they ever let on to having, that's how they keep it, by playing poor and trying to take advantage of workin stiffs like you.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think I remember her saying it was like $500 just to enter or pledge or whatever you have to do to get in.

I'll see what other comments I get and give her a price in a couple days. I mean I have until next February

~Michael~

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think I remember her saying it was like $500 just to enter or pledge or whatever you have to do to get in.

I'll see what other comments I get and give her a price in a couple days. I mean I have until next February

~Michael~

After they are in, don't forget monthly dues...

Do you already have any shots of similiar work you have done to show them what you can do?

I remember my fraternity days, where I intentionally stayed what we called "GDI" (gol durn independent).

strike a deal where you're their exclusive and official photographer - annual group and individual photos

I don't have much experience with this stuff, but I'd say charge them whatever your normal rate is. They have the money to pay for it.
You're a photographer, and you need to be paid for the work you're doing.
I also like raider's idea..

I'm not sure I understand what type of photos they want. Do they just want photos of the couples at their event/party? And then they want you to hand over the files so that they can make money by selling the prints?

What about PP? Would that be your responsibility or not?

Are they wanting to sell the images right then & there, or sometime later?

Are you set up for on-line proofing & sales? Maybe you could tell them that you will sell the prints and offer them 40-50% of the profit (if this is a fund raising type thing for them). That way, you make your fee and enough on the prints to make it worth your time...and they get a little something.

I'd charge the normal rate.

And if they wanted the photos to print for themselves, sell them the disk or disks with the photo's on them, for whatever you think is a good price. You'll never see another dime from them, and Greek have deep pockets.

The only greeks I've ever met were in Greece, lol, so I really don't know about their finances but they are not a charity.

I would find out exactly what it is they have in mind (I'm thinking something similar to "the" couple photo at proms which would make it fairly fast to PP the images) before making an offer. Then I would offer something along the lines of what Big Mike is talking about. And don't forget to include your PP time in the expenses.

I would say it depends on whether you are doing this as a friend or as a business... if it's strictly business I would either charge your usual and customary, or do what big mike said. If this is a favor for a friend you might work out some sort of discount i.e. you profit on sitting fee but they "raise funds" on prints, but I would look into whether they are a nonprofit and if so, see if you could get a tax receipt for the portion of services that you "donated" to their organization. Just a thought.

Don't believe that a "Greek" social (party) organization could ever be considered as not for profit.

By the time you are done, whether you charge or not, bet you will earn whatever you do get for your services.

Do you know any young girl who isn't picky-picky about how she looks all dressed up in a photograph?

I guess it might not, I was in a "professional" fraternity (yes fraternity, not honor society or otherwise) in grad school and we were a registered non profit.

I guess it might not, I was in a "professional" fraternity (yes fraternity, not honor society or otherwise) in grad school and we were a registered non profit.
Non-profit organizations are allowed to make a profit. They are limited on what they can do with the extra money and they actually call it a surplus.

It's hard to cut a non-profit a pricing break for making images when the top 20 employees are pulling down 6 and 7 figure incomes.

As I have said in the past: Charge non-profits and charities full price. Supporting them is fine and noble, but you do so on a personal level, not a business level.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back