Photography is HARD!

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to the tidal basin in Washington, DC this weekend to get some shots of my wife and kids with the Cherry Blossoms. It was a mad house overrun with tourists and locals who don't know how to stay out of the way or just don't care. :soapbox: This makes it difficult to even get set up for shooting, but excuses aside, I find it so frustrating to **think** I've captured some good images only to discover that my umbrella was too close to the subject and I have a lot of light "pollution" on the side of the image and their faces are too "hot."

I do enjoy this hobby when I get it **right** but, like hitting a bad shot in golf, it's very annoying and deflating when I get it wrong. :gah::gah:

It sometimes just seems TOO damn hard to get it right! Grrrrr........

light meeter, read your histogram and look for any lost of details while reviewing your lcd. these all the tools available to you to make sure you don't overexpose.

putting your umbrella closer to your subject should only make the light softer, your flash power was simply set to high.

I'm totally a histogram junkie when it comes to OCF. Easiest way to actually see if you've got both the shadows and the highlights...

It's good to have days like this. It keeps you from thinking you have it all figured out. The minute you think you go it, you stop learning and improving. Consider this a nudge to get better.

It's the portrait lighting that frustrates me. I'm working on it...

Gary-

Here is an example of the light "pollution" that killed this image. Note that this histogram does not show this light "pollution" and did not register as being blown out.

This is SOOC, no processing at all. My umbrella was too close to the subjects and I was struggling to get the cherry blossoms in the photo.

6997908793_cbafd63eb7.jpg
[/URL] SOOC Image by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

I moved them around and got some better images, but the crowds were so big it made things tough to even get a shot and again, I missed the cherry blossoms.

6997926589_05b173707e.jpg
[/URL] TEB KAB Posing by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

................. Note that this histogram does not show this light "pollution" and did not register as being blown out.

This is SOOC, no processing at all. My umbrella was too close to the subjects and I was struggling to get the cherry blossoms in the photo.

Are you referring to the glare on the left, or the light as it falls on the older child?

No, it was hard back back in the day when you had to focus, guess your exposure and had one frame of film left to capture the image with. Then head to your darkroom that was 90 degress and cool down some developer to 68 in an ice bath. Or worse, try to keep your color solutions to within a degree.

Digital photography is a dream. No polaroid backs to screw with. Instant feedback. No film to change. Inkjet prints that rival or best old dye transfer prints in a fraction of a fraction of the time that used to be required to get a print.

................. Note that this histogram does not show this light "pollution" and did not register as being blown out.

Are you referring to the glare on the left, or the light as it falls on the older child?

The glare on the left and the older girl's face is really bright. It's hard to get them to hold still to begin with but when you start adjusting umbrella lights and dodging tourists, MWACs and DWACs and strollers, it becomes a circus.

I'm just venting...that's all. I suck.

The glare on the left and the older girl's face is really bright. It's hard to get them to hold still to begin with but when you start adjusting umbrella lights and dodging tourists, MWACs and DWACs and strollers, it becomes a circus.

I'm just venting...that's all. I suck.

The glare is not blown out, so looking at the histo wouldn't tell you anything. As for blown-out highlights, see if you camera has a setting that will cause them to blink on the LCD monitor. Otherwise, 'zoom in' on the monitor as see if the histo changes when you do. If it does, then use that feature to get a histo at the 'pixel peep' level.

Note that this histogram does not show this light "pollution" and did not register as being blown out.
Your statement indicates you don't yet understand what a histogram is showing you.

There is no doubt the histogram shows the 'light pollution'.

Your umbrella wasn't to close to the subjects. The power of the flash unit was set to high.

To get the cherry blossoms in the shot you needed the camera to be pretty much on the ground and pointing upwards, a different pose, or a different location.

The problem is that you're trying to jimmy in an image that you think you should get rather than looking at the surroundings and ambient light and the gear you have and trying to get the best picture you can get from it.

lol... if it were easy we would all have Facebook photography pages and be independently wealthy.

Most reactions

Back