photography is so expensive

Jus7 A Phas3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
you cant get anything for under 100$ and not anything truly good for under 200$ its crazy

hey. welcome to reality...lol

Photography is cheaper than lots of things.
You can't get a good car for under 200 bucks either...

Ya, this is an expensive hobby for me as well. I've learned the same thing, nothing's cheap and you get what you pay for.

I could justify the cost of some equipment if my livelihood depended on it but since I'm in it as a hobby it's tough to spend several thousand on a lens.

Most hobbies are expensive though. I was big into Reef Aquariums for almost 15 years and my last tank set me back almost 30,000 dollars by the time it was done. Things add up fast.

It isn't too bad compared to cars. I earn minimum wage and I saved up for my camera over 3-4 weeks. I stopped eating out, saved every penny I could, and before I knew it, I had $160.

RD

I started this thought process on another thread and considered it best to put it off to the side and let it simmer for a while. Ha, then I see this one and it is just too serendipitious. Someone can call BS if they want and I won't have any problems, but here was my thoughts.

I am just amazed at how many people want to take photography "seriously" but want it on the cheap. Sorry to say it folks but PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT A CHEAP HOBBY. If someone aspires to have those eye-popping, awe-inspiring and how-the-hell-did-they-do-that images, you can best be assured an investment in time, networking, research, dedication and capital was spent.

Someone will come up behind me and say they could take a $150 P&S camera and produce those eye-popping, awe-inspiring and how-the-hell-did-they-do-that images. Certainly that is possible. Unless they are extremely gifted or lucky and their history can be proven otherwise, I would lay good money on that they have already invested and sacrificed a great deal of time, networking, research, dedication and capital to be in the position to take those shots with a simple P&S.

I put myself in the spotlight. I have spent quite a fair amount of money on gear, read many books, googled my ass off, asked loads of question and still, I take crap photos. Oh yeah, I get the good ones every once in a while, but my percentages are abysmal and far from where I want to be. However, it is those one or two that keep me coming back, knowing that it is within me to have a stellar moment. It’s the same feeling I had when I was really into golf, hitting that sweet spot is so satisfying that all those duffs are inconsequential. Consistency is what I am after, not the spikes. However, it is going to take even more time, networking, research and dedication.

Someone please give an argument of why this is not correct.

You gotta' spend money to make money! But seriously, it is very expensive. The body is only a small part of the expense.

I started with a lil ole p&s,,,ended up buying a Canon Elan 7 then the Canon Elan 7NE brand new, then on to digies with the Kodak P850, not bad got another itch bought a Canon Rebel dslr,,,oh boy what a change that was,,,used of course stretching the buc,,,then the itch came badck bought a New Canon XT dslr,,,nowe have over 1500.00 wrapped up and doing some portrait work along with a few weddings throwed in, wasnt supposed to be this way,,it just happened.

Keep shootin enjoy and have fun,,cause when yu are addicted,,,yu are addicted

Photography is cheaper than computers so far for me...
Though, it could be different if I had a job at the moment.

I used to spend about 200 a week on my computer (average).
600 dollar monitor, 500 dollar video card, 400 dollar processor, 300 dollar ram, 200 dollar power supply...and on and on
Then by the time you get all new parts, the first part you bought isn't the best any more so you start over again.

At least in photography, I know I won't have to buy my L lenses too many times.

Photography is cheaper than modifying my car! Its all in priorities!

I am just amazed at how many people want to take photography "seriously" but want it on the cheap. Sorry to say it folks but PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT A CHEAP HOBBY. If someone aspires to have those eye-popping, awe-inspiring and how-the-hell-did-they-do-that images, you can best be assured an investment in time, networking, research, dedication and capital was spent.

You are correct on the time, networking, research, dedication but on the capital comment YOU ARE NOT CORRECT!!
YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO USE THE EQUIPMENT YOU OWN.

Sounds harsh. sorry but I ment it that way. I've been a serious hobyist for many years and digital is cheap. Pay to process 20 rolls of film to find out 3 of the images are good. Sure the top end digital is pricey and worth every penny but you can take a bad photo with a Nikon D3 just as quickly as with the $79.95 camera you bought last week at wally world.

case in point I just sold a panorama at a gallery for $375. Frame and matting it cost a lot and the gallery took a 40% cut but I made over a hundred off a photo I took with a coolpix s10 point and shoot.

Its the photo people not the camera.

Stuff is expensive, gas costs $3 a gallon, life sucks, its still not the camera's fault you took a bad photo. Its harder with a cheap camera to take some photos than with a DSLR but not impossible.

suck it up, buy what you can afford learn how every setting might help you and take your best shots. If the best you can do is crap, it doesn't really matter if you've a $125 camera or a $5k camera.

You are correct on the time, networking, research, dedication but on the capital comment YOU ARE NOT CORRECT!!
YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO USE THE EQUIPMENT YOU OWN.

Sounds harsh. sorry but I ment it that way. I've been a serious hobyist for many years and digital is cheap. Pay to process 20 rolls of film to find out 3 of the images are good.

The point I was trying to make is that there have been many, many posts whereby someone inevitably wants advice on a (for instance) 18-400mm lens for $150 (is this a good deal?) or either wants the performance of a $2000 lens but has the budget for $500. Even at $150 for a lens, that is pushing some peoples budget. And I am only talking about lenses. Starter (d)bodies can run from $300-600. If you are going for your first camera (dslr), how can you say a capital investment is not required?

I used to shoot film as well. It was bloody expensive even back then.

The fact that I consider that I take crap shots is because I am highly critical of my work. My mother thinks they're all wonderful, but then again, she's my mother, but I'm no pimply school aged boy either.

I've been around the block 3 or 4 times, maybe 5 times and I think some of the younger generation are so absorbed with instant gratification that certains aspects of a hobby, such as photography, are disingenuously overlooked.

So I stand by my statement that a capital investment is required.

Most reactions

Back