Photography is the art of......

Tekoband

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have read read several long threads about photos of certain types being catagorized as 'art' or not - and other related threads but none specifically relating to my inquiry as best my searches could reveal.:wink:

In the 1970's I got very involved in photography along with studying works by some of the greats. And the debate around the basic question of photography being a form of "art" raged on even before those times. And there was a day when trying to come to terms with the question that I sat down and wrote a brief synopsis of what I considered to be the essence of photography. The following is what I wrote:

*********************************​

Photography is the art of showing our fellow man the infiniteness of beauty, tragedy, love, despair, happiness and suffering - hence giving him the knowledge that these things exist should he pass by and not see.

*********************************​

Some years later after writing down those thoughts I was reading one of the more popular photography magazines of the day and they had published an article about a prominent photographer of years gone by who considered photography to be a very expressive art form. The photographer had also penned a brief synopisis with regard to his thoughts about the subject of photography and it was "almost" word for word what I had written. Now although it may seem so to some of you who read this, I am not in the least bit comparing myself to that photographer or his greatness and consider it only a "matter of coincidence" that a novice such as I could have a similar passion for the art as he did, thus expressing it in almost an exact manner. But.....at the time what I wrote was just as heart felt as what he wrote.

Now, having had to say all that just to get here :chatty: - here is the question. Does anyone here have any idea what that photographer's name was by chance? Perhaps some of you have run across his 'quote' on the subject?....:?:

Thanks.....Alan

LWW

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Writing with light.

Phot-o-graph-y.

LWW

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, Tekoband, and welcome to TPF. :)

I can't say I've run across a quote similar to this, no. I do find it interesting to come across instances like this, where I think I've had an original thought or idea, only to come across it expressed much more eloquently than I. ;) I find it validating, nothing more.

Wish I could help ya, could be someone better read than me will weigh in here.

OP
Tekoband

Tekoband

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
terri said:
I can't say I've run across a quote similar to this, no. I do find it interesting to come across instances like this, where I think I've had an original thought or idea, only to come across it expressed much more eloquently than I. ;) I find it validating, nothing more.

Thanks for the 'Welcome'.....:D

Yes, that is pretty much the case here I think.;)
Thanks for giving it a shot though.

Most reactions

New Topics