Photography Jack O'Lanterns in dark - no tripod/monopods allowed - need tips

Leftyplayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm shooting (for fun) a cool Jack O'Lantern exhibit. Unfortunately, tripods and monopods are not allowed. The 5DII is great in low light and I know I'm going to obviously just try to be very steady or use things around me to stabilize. However, my concern is also about being able to focus in that low light a setting. Auto focus will probably have trouble, so I may have to switch to manual. I AM allowed to use flash, but obviously that would just mess up the photos. However, I'm wondering if I can use my strobe to help with focusing, but not have it fire when I press the shutter. I have a Yongnuo 467 - but haven't used it in that way before, so not sure if it can even do that ... and the instructions are crap).

So ....

1. any tips on extreme low light photography with the 5DII, outside of steady hands LOL, open aperture and as slow a shutter as I can manage).

2. anyone know about the Yongnuo and it's ability to help me focus, but not fire with the shutter?

Thank you!

You can try your flash. What about exposing for the lit portions in camera and using your flash exposure so that it's underexposed by 2 or 3 stops and gives you definitely from the pumpkin without having it as an obvious flash shot.

Try pressing the DOF preview button on the left close to the lens mount. Press that while you are focusing.

A Canon accessory flash would give you an additional focus assist light. Does your flash have that option?

If the J-O-lanterns are lit, I don't think it should be that hard to focus on them.

Last edited:
Tone Curve must be set to LOW. The difference between the lighted inner part of the pumpkin and the fronts is pretty great. A small amount of flash will help equalize the difference.

One trick to use to help stabilize the camera:

Go to the hardware store and drop a few bucks on a ¼x20 eyebolt and some string. Tie the string to the eyebolt.

D7K_9510.jpg

You've just manufactured the Poor Man's Monopod. To use, just stand on the end of the string and pull it taught.

D7K_9512.jpg

The trick is to remember that you aren't exposing for the dark, you are exposing for the LIGHT of the jack-o-lanterns. When you think about that, the exposure is much easier!

You also might think about using spot-metering, that way your meter will not be confused, or maybe less confused, by all the darkness, because, after all, I would think that you want to expose for the lit pumpkins. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back