Photography Law: Posting Photos taken from TV Show Private Property w/Fan area

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How does photography Law apply if a TV Show/Business sets aside part of their property for fans. You got people standing around watching the production and taking pictures and no one saying anything about it. The only sign states Filming beyond this point referring to the fenced off secured area surrounding the production scene. Is it legal to post pictures you obtained from this visiting/fan area even through the use of a telephoto lens? I'm not talking resale, just posting in discussion boards.

Thanks.

I would say it is fair game if they were allowing cameras to enter. I would post them, but I am a risk taker. I am sure others might have a different opinion.

Normally the assumption is that it's ok to take photos on private property unless you are told you can't or there is a sign telling you not to, as long as the people in your pics do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy. If you are in an area where the public have access to and they are obviously taking photographs and the propery owners are not asking them not to you effectivley have implied permission. Even if your sign said no photography beyond this point you would still be within ok as you are not beyond that point. And even if you were they could probably only ask you to stop taking photos and then remove you from their property if they didn't want you to take any pics. You might get into a bit of bother if for example you photographed someone beyond that point getting changed through the windows of a trailer (where they'd expect to have privacy) but not if they were in view of the fan area.

So yeah. You can do what you like with your images as long as the subject does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Normally the assumption is that it's ok to take photos on private property unless you are told you can't or there is a sign telling you not to...

"Assumption" is the mother of only bad things.

If you're on private property, and you want to shoot, why not simply seek permission to do so?

I ask when I'm not sure... and so far, I've gotten a lot of friendly responses telling me "Sure"... and even if it IS prohibited, they're still polite and generally thank me for asking. Like most of the law topics that have hit the forum the past few days, I think it's just more common courtesy, sense and respect.

EDIT: I DID get access to a spot normally off limits, by asking and showing a student ID. :D No BS... just told them flat out, I'm not a pro, just a student and wanted the practice... and the honesty worked! Imagine that! hehehehe

I'm thinking about stopping back by the set/business again today and ask how they feel about fans snapping photos. I really only worry about it because although the parts I'm shooting is basically out in plain sight with little to no expected privacy, I'm afraid they may get upset about possible spoilers for future episodes.

Yeah, I can see where you might be concerned. Never hurts to ask though... if you bat your eyelashes or use the puppy dog face it may help.... j/k

Normally the assumption is that it's ok to take photos on private property unless you are told you can't or there is a sign telling you not to...

If you're on private property, and you want to shoot, why not simply seek permission to do so?

true, however it is not allways possible to find someone to ask, or there are times that finding someone would mean having to go significantly out of your way to do so.

If the inside of the area is not open to the public / the area reasonably isolates the people inside, then people inside the area most likely have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" from members of the public, and thus cannot be legally photographed.

If the fence is just chain link and it would be blatantly obvious to anybody inside that they can be watched by the public, then it would be legal to photograph the people inside.

^ It all boils down to whether the people being photographed have a reasonable expectation of privacy from the general public. The nature of the barrier and the exclusivity of the area are relevant to this. Less so the sign, since you're not filming inside and thus it is not referring to you anyway.

Because they might say no, and if it's not their decision to make legally, you could be denying yourself perfectly good photos for no reason.

Just got back from the set/business.

I checked with the office and they told everything was good as long as I don't post anything that hasn't yet already been aired...it's really car show, so don't post up any of the new cars until they air first. It's was a lot of fun this morning, watched the guys unload a new car...I took lots of pictures :D

Last edited:
Glad it worked out; I usually find it works to ask.

If you're on their property then you'd need to follow their guidelines; most venues will restrict fans from bringing in longer telephoto lenses if they want to protect their 'product' from being photographed.

Glad it worked out; I usually find it works to ask.

If you're on their property then you'd need to follow their guidelines; most venues will restrict fans from bringing in longer telephoto lenses if they want to protect their 'product' from being photographed.

Thanks,

I figured the more I work with them, the more they maybe willing to work with me...aka, allowing my telephoto lens for example. So I'm just going to post general stuff for now and sit on the rest until it airs on TV.

Apparently they allow cameras without any restrictions; I would think if they didn't want fans taking pictures into another area that they'd block that from view. I find it depends on what the event or venue is how strict they are (or aren't) about people taking pictures.

Probably your usage is where you might need to check with them before you do anything with the photos; if you develop a relationship with them you might be able to work something out. Since they gave you some guidelines if they know you followed those and didn't use the photos til after their show aired they might trust you to take pictures in the future.

Can you afford a better lawyer than the television network?

No commit, just say I wouldn't throw good money after bad or risk have to do so.

Anyhow, I check with the staff and they said it's fine as long as I don't post anything that hasn't aired. And the film crew actually had me shooting just behind them while they filmed part of the show outside the general filming area. The only thing I was told was more advice than anything and that was the owner/star wasn't big on cameras up in his face...not a problem with the zoom. Once they got the car unloaded, they had all us fans stand inside the office...big windows and AC :thumbup:.

Most reactions

Back