Photography Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
No attorney is going to take this case. Even if they had cause, which they don't (in my non-attorney, total BS opinion) there's isn't enough damages to make it worth their time - ask yourself: do you make as much as a lawyer?

Hell. Do you make as much as a paralegal?!

I think your customer has been watching too much Judge Judy.

Last edited:
It may be that the cost of the job was less than the maximum amount for filing in small claims court, where ever the OP may be on planet Earth.

In that case the plaintiffs would not need a lawyer, at least in court.

I haven't read the entire thread, so I'll merely say I'm glad I don't shoot weddings. There have been plenty of late payers with commercial assignments for advertising or editorial, which is bad enough, but no threats of legal action.

I have no idea whether the pictures are any good or not, but on face value some of those claims sound highly tenuous. I think it's likely they are just looking for ways to get the wedding photos for free.

I haven't read the entire thread, so I'll merely say I'm glad I don't shoot weddings. There have been plenty of late payers with commercial assignments for advertising or editorial, which is bad enough, but no threats of legal action.

I have no idea whether the pictures are any good or not, but on face value some of those claims sound highly tenuous. I think it's likely they are just looking for ways to get the wedding photos for free.

Yeah, sounds to me a lot like folks trying to as ashleykaryl writes, "get the wedding photos for free". Just something about this whole deal sounds sketchy.

*edit to correct spelling of ashleykaryl, added the second y to the name

Last edited:
An afterthought, but if the OP can find any trace of the images being used by anybody from the wedding, whether on Facebook or anywhere else it's a slam-dunk with no further discussion.

He could insist on full payment with no excuses or turn around and threaten legal action for breach of copyright for a whole lot more. It might be a clever move to register the images now with with the US Copyright office, though it might ruin their honeymoon...

Seems tp me that you are in the right, though the 2 minutes late thing looks bad and very unprofessional. For weddings and quinceaneras I usually show up at least an hour and a half early to shoot the table decorations, cake, venue and such with little distractions. My wife who is my assistant usually shows up earlier than that to scout out good locations and go over final details with the clients.

I'm just echoing what others said.

Being late is a huge problem, letting them know that you're on the way really doesn't mitigate the problem.
When I did events, I was there early, just in case. I've had room changes, power problems, drunken subjects.
Your problem shouldn't be the clients problem

What is missing from the contract is the requirement for a shot list plus someone from the wedding party who is responsible to get the people in front of the camera or you to them. a huge miss. I don't remember everyone, who goes with who, etc.

Giving them free stuff is a pretty weak strategy and is too big an admission.
IMO, you skrewed the pooch on this one, give them the money back, get them to sign a waiver relinquishing any claims and learn from it.

An afterthought, but if the OP can find any trace of the images being used by anybody from the wedding,

I love the TV show Judge Judy, primarily because she's a crusty old gal. I remember one of her rulings. "If you go into a restaurant and order a hamburger. If you don't like it send it back, but you can't eat the burger then claim it wasn't any good and refuse to pay".

Notice how my posts reflect my skepticism of the OP's claims, and someone else appears to be skeptical of the client's claims. I'm sure there are some clients who make a practice of trying to cheat the contractor, just as I see some contractors who have failed to deliver.

I am all in favor of an entrepreneur getting paid what he is due for a job well done, but if said entrepreneur seems to have not fulfilled his obligations (surmised from his own account) then I sympathize more with the client.

I have been a customer who has not received full value of services delivered, so I understand how that might happen. Having heard only one side of this story, we each form our opinion of both parties based on our experience and what we can divine from it.

It is possible that the whole story told impartially would place the situation somewhere in the middle.

I love the TV show Judge Judy, primarily because she's a crusty old gal. I remember one of her rulings. "If you go into a restaurant and order a hamburger. If you don't like it send it back, but you can't eat the burger then claim it wasn't any good and refuse to pay".
In the case of an omelette containing egg shells, you might not find the shell fragments until part way through.

When MLW called the manager's attention to the problem, he looked at the omelette and decided that she had already eaten half, therefore was entitled to a half price discount.

We've never been back.

Seems like since you've been doing this for some time maybe it would help to take a look at your procedures, contracts, etc. and do some updating. Try American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA for resources.

You might need to get this resolved with this client as best you can (as going to court won't probably be worth the time trouble and expense) and since mistakes were made in arrival time, etc. work out a refund as needed. Then figure out from now on what guidelines you want to establish (such as if it's worth it to take off work early for a friend of a friend/client type thing).

Get it worked out with this client, live and learn, make some adjustments for the future, and life goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back