Photography Lighting Kit

Lanna.O

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking forward to buy studio lighting kit (I want to set up home photo studio), I guess it's better than buying each one apart. When I was looking for this on amazon.com there are too many choices, so I don't know which one is the best for me. My budget is 200$, is it possible to get something good for this cost?

Your budget is very low for even a good light let a lone a kit. We would need to know more about the home studio size, type of photography, are you looking at continuous lights or strobes...?

Your budget is very low for even a good light let a lone a kit. We would need to know more about the home studio size, type of photography, are you looking at continuous lights or strobes...?
I want to shoot portraits. How much money I need for that?

Somewhere between $50 and $20,000. My lighting kit totals out at about $8000, give or take a couple of hundred. If your budget is $200, then I would go with one speedlight, trigger, bracket, lightstand and combination umbrella and an additional 5 in 1 reflector. That will allow you in effect, to create one and two light patterns; and you can do a LOT with a single light!

Vis:
Kelsey%20(2).jpg

For your $200 budget, you can buy two or three inexpensive strobes ($50 each) and make modifiers using white shower curtains or white nylon fabric. Not ideal, but it will get you started.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For your $200 budget, you can buy two or three inexpensive strobes ($50 each) and make modifiers using white shower curtains or white nylon fabric. Not ideal, but it will get you started.
what about this? Amazon.com : Neewer Professional Photography Studio Equipment Kit - Lights, Umbrellas, Stands & MORE!!! : Photographic Lighting Umbrellas : Camera & Photo
Rule #1: If photo gear bills itself as "professional" it almost certainly isn't. And, do you really want to buy equipment from a vendor that can't even be bothered to spell-check his/her page?

That would be fine for taking a few family shots at home, but it's definitely not going to be up to any serious work. If you're in the US, consider the Flashpoint line of gear from Adorama; it's relatively decent consumer-grade equipment from a reputable dealer where returns and exchanges won't be a problem.

Here is a decent starting point kit for doing portraiture:
Flashpoint Classic Umbrella Duo-Light 320M 2 MonoLight Kit

Over time add larger umbrellas, softboxes or brollys, a hair light, a kicker light, snoots, grids, etc.

The bigger the light modifier the softer the light and shadows are and for most portraits you want the softest light you can get.

The kit you linked to doesn't say how high the light stands will go, and the softboxes are kind of small and of limitted use because of their shape

Last edited:
I would say rent gears which you want and then decide what you need

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I wish I read this thread earlier. Flash point.

what about this? Amazon.com : Neewer Professional Photography Studio Equipment Kit - Lights, Umbrellas, Stands & MORE!!! : Photographic Lighting Umbrellas : Camera & Photo

Looks like a winner to me. I suspect these strobes are weaker than a pro would need but I think it should work fine for amateur photography for things like portraits or table top purposes. The set gets good reviews on Amazon so at least some amateurs are happy with it. We call these monolights because the power equipment is built into the lights rather than a separate power pack. I use monolights for my small product photography. Mine are more powerful and more expensive than these but they certainly do the job. I actually operate mine at 1/32 power with my camera set to f16 through a light tent so that gives you an idea of how effective monolights can be. I have no experience with this set but it looks it should work for you.

You can always have more powerful AND less expensive too by building your own.
The disagree vote comes from someone who spent more than they built, no doubt. :happyblush:

Last edited:
You can always have more powerful AND less expensive too by building your own.
The disagree vote comes from someone who spent more than they built, no doubt. :happyblush:
Building one's own strobes would be quite a feat for the average person. Even building suitably high output continuous lighting would a challenge for under $200.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back