Photography Major?

Sheddingskin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a freshman in college and am currently an English/Pre-Law major. My current major interests me but I'm still not convinced its completely for me. The estra schooling and money is also a factor. I do, however, get much enjoyment out of photography and feel that I have at least some natural talent in it. I may not know all of the techniques but I am a quick learner.

My college (Ohio University) offers photography in their fine arts college, but you have to first go through two years in the general fine arts college and then submit a portfolio and have it reviewed to be accepted into the photography discipline. Commercial photography and photojournalism are also available but it seems to be almost impossible to get into those.

My question is do you guys recommend I go for the major switch? I'm just a little nervous about it all. Thanks in advance!

Photography is a very tough field to break into and be profitable. Spending your college opportunity on this in my opinion is very risky. You would be better off to get a business degree and learn how to run the business of photography, then pick up your actual photo skills with various smaller classes and experience.

There is a reason for OU wanting you to have a fine arts background.

I agree with DRoberts. Get a degree that will land you a good paying job, continue to learn photography on the side.

Have you done any research as far as the kind of money you can make as a photographer?

If you want to start a photography business,

photography = MINOR

business = MAJOR.

If you want to have an all but guaranteed lucrative career and make a lot of money,

Engineering/Comp science/Law/ Medicine/International business/ or something else= MAJOR

photography = HOBBY.

:lol:

If you want to have an all but guaranteed lucrative career and make a lot of money,

Engineering/Comp science/Law/ Medicine/International business/ or something else= MAJOR

photography = HOBBY.

Ditto.
I did and it worked out fine.

Whatever you do, don't go into debt for an arts major, biggest mistake of my life....

The reality of your college major:

j2z2f7zz5wdmi9ppffqm.jpg

The business of photography has been, and will continue to change rapidly.

The main forces driving the change is the internet, and the continuing consolidation of the stock photography industry.

There are far fewer staff photography jobs available in the editorial and commercial photography fields, and the retail photography field is as overpopulated with wanna-bes as ever at the entry level.

As mentioned, if retail or commercial photography appeal to you, the smart move is to concentrate on business studies.

Study in the fine arts college, or an equivelent self-directed course of study, would be a definate plus for learning to do photography.

I have a BFA in Studios Art with a minor in marketing. My concentration is in graphic design as photography was not offered as a concentration at the time. I did however, take all the photography courses offered and continue my photography education within the PPA. Business is not my strong point, that is why I have a business manager. It's up to you. Have you spoken to the professors in the art department? They may be able to help you choose.

Last edited:
Regarding how tough photography is as a career, the joke I heard is:

Q. What's the difference between a photographer and a pizza?

A. A pizza can feed a family of four.

Most reactions

Back