Photography part time.

Thanks for bringing up the aspect ratio issue. What would you reccommend to correct this issue?

I will get liability insurance...and when it comes to taxes I'll take care of it.

Marketing I'm thinking...craigslist...social networks...passing out flyers...have flyers around town...website. sound good to start?

Thanks guys! any other suggestions?

What makes you think you can fly under the radar and advertise at the same time?
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

:lol:

I'll see your link, and raise you one... http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3949a.pdf

Also, from what I understand, several states have incentives for the people who turn in the illegal companies.
I was joking, BTW... ;) Although, how many of those Facebook Photographers do you think are paying taxes? My guess would be less than 1%.

Thanks for bringing up the aspect ratio issue. What would you reccommend to correct this issue?
The most effective way would be to supply them with prints, not CDs. When they want a different size, they have to come to you.

The 'most effective way' might not be the 'best' way though.

If you want to give them CDs, you could make a crop of each picture for each crop they might want, and label them clearly. More work, but you could always factor it into your prices.

When you give them a CD, you're basically leaving them in charge of the printing. 80% of the time, that's probably fine, but there IS the other 20% (maybe it's actually much more than that...?) who don't know the difference between 2:3 and 4:5.

No matter what, some people will try to rip you off. Even supplying them with prints, I can guarantee you that some people will just buy the cheapest ones you sell and scan them.

I can't even remember how many people have asked me to scan other peoples prints for them so that they can make more prints since they know I am a photographer and have "a good scanner". Or asked me to scan wallet size proofs and give them 8x10 prints of them... :lol:

They don't even care that it would look like crap if I actually did it. Those are the people you will be dealing with if you don't charge enough to scare them away. :lol:

ok great. What online albulm should I look into...so clients can view their photos online.....

WOoO an Insurance question!

I work in insurance!

lol

If you can find an agent that has USLI (United States Liablity Insurance) I would go with them. USLI is an awesome company and have Photographer packages starting at 180.00. I would offer to write it for you but I am not sure if we are licensed to do business with USLI in NC.

I recently insured my little jewelry business and photog stuff (property only) for a few hundred.

They can write this policy under your personal name.

:)

ok great. What online albulm should I look into...so clients can view their photos online.....
That's a great way to minimize sales, for 2 main reasons:
  1. because you can't utilize any salesmanship skills online, and
  2. the customer can just copy the online photos (right click or screen shot) and stiff you.
Photographers that make real money, proof in person.

If you want to provide a service, provide a complete service, instead of looking for shortcuts that pass off your responsibilities to your customers.

Last edited:
Marketing I'm thinking...craigslist...social networks...passing out flyers...have flyers around town...

While these are instinctively the first places that you may think of for getting exposure, from my experience you will only get a very small percentage of "paying clients" from craigslist, social networks(like facebook) or flyers - these will be mostly cold sources or cold call clients.

This is a game played in referrals so you have to play it just like that. Try your initial marketing around your personal circle first like family, friends, coworkers, clubs, groups...whoever you may know. Announce to them what you're doing and I mean with formality - a business launch party(you take it lightly so will they). Also since I know you're in the Bay Area San Francisco, there are ton of groups out here consisting of portrait/wedding photographers. Join these groups and rub elbows with them. Help each other out and and it surely becomes very beneficial for everybody - yes including booking clients. I can actually introduce you to a few when you are ready to carry your own and legitimately pursue this :D

You may be begining to realize that for even a part-time business, of any kind, there is no EZ button.

It takes an amazing amount of time and effort. To make even part-time actually profitable, you will need an average sale that is consistantly several hundred $$$'s per customer. Real money starts when your average sale approaches or exceeds $1000 per customer.

Successful retail photographers spend more time tending to business tasks like accounting, developing their marketing, promotion plans, and networking in person, than they do doing the actual photography and post production work.

The best thing you can do right now is to take as many pictures as possible for anyone who will let you point a camera at them. Study, study, study....If you need compensation for gas or expenses, let people know that you're just building your portfolio and not charging yet..but that you will accept "tips." (Make sure to report these tips on your taxes obviously.) Insurance, as said above, is a *MUST* if you accept any money of any kind from anyone.

Keep shooting, practicing, meeting poeple...let word of mouth grow... And then when you feel like your photography is worth it, charge a DECENT rate for it! Don't spend your time haggling and undercutting all the "expensive" photographers. Work out a buisiness plan, figure out exactly what all your expenses are and will be...while still giving yourself some sort of profit. Keep in mind a HUGE chunk of what you make will go to taxes alone..like 40%. Those photographers charging what may seem like an arm and a leg for photographer are the ones who are being reasonable and just trying to make a living.

interesting...I know theres no easy route here so I'm going to do everything the rigth way!

Insurance will be number 1...then my business plan...marketing....etc...

If I want to use the clients image on my website or any other source except commercial use do I still need them to sign a release form? or do I own the image?

Thanks for all the useful input!!!!

keep it comin!

Where can I find these groups? :)

sounds like fun and very beneficial.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back