photography pet peaves

Well, not really that bad, Battou, as I made it sound, and the "eat their sandwiches while they handle my film" thing is actually something my sister once said, only did I put a fat cross on the cheapest, smallest prints to be had when I had my latest film developed (just so I could only see what I had got, could always order larger sizes on better paper later), and then they used the one-size bigger paper size, on their premium paper, printed all 36 photos, but declared the container had been damaged and most suffered from light leakage. But I had to pay for all the bad ones, too, and the high price. Grrr. (I could have returned the pics, waited for another week, and get back my cheap ones, but ... what the hxxx - but what annoys me is that they actually RELY on this, their customer's, reaction...)

Ah yes, I had a similar yet opposit occurance with my parking issues photos, when I got them back they where damaged beyond anything I had ever seen, this includes my own rookie mistakes as well as those of others during my photography classes. I too could have sent them back and waited another week, however I absolutely needed those photos on the NOW basis and could not do that. I had ordered doubles to boot. I ended up having the stores manager call them and rip into the labs manager, it's all I could do.

I have also had occations where they have run my images threw their "perfect touch" process costing me an additional couple dollars and making me have to do a crapload of work to remove the two layers of film they put over the negs before I could scan them.

Oh yeah, here is a prime example of why the powerline takes the cake too.

In general, People who interrupt my creativity with their banter....

Kinda like interrupting a conversation or listening in on a conversation. Even worse... people who interrupt me to talk about equipment. Its the same group that usually get into a contest over equipment.

I'm usually pretty good at maintaining my composure and not come off as angry. I have convinced myself that I might be standing there silently for a few moments just thinking about the next step and that could be interpreted as a good time to spark conversation.

My other pet peeves...

Non-constructive critiques.... we are all learning and if someone doesn't want to contribute to the learning process they should just keep their comments to themselves.

The fact that our society is paranoid of individuals with cameras.... Sparks the "I'm not a pervert" syndrome in me.

1) When people look at my camera and say "wow, that must have cost a lot. I bet IT takes some good pictures." After all the work ive put and am still putting into learning how to take good pictures has been a waste if i would have known there is a setting in the expensive camera for it....

2) In my galleries when i get 100 photo views and no comments -_-

3) When my favorite photo of the bunch (one i think is best) is the one least mentioned and the "snapshoot" looking photo gets the highest praise.

When people use flash to try to light a subject that's 1/2 a mile away.

For example... in the US during the Superbowl when it's time for kick-off you see about 50,000 flashes fire. You have to wonder how many of those people really think the flash does anything to help expose the field.

Hmmm.... photography pet peaves....

I have photographed pet dogs, pet cats, pet snakes, pet fish and even a pet pig... but I don't think I have ever photographed a pet peave...

For example... in the US during the Superbowl when it's time for kick-off you see about 50,000 flashes fire. You have to wonder how many of those people really think the flash does anything to help expose the field.

I don't know many stadiums where the kicker is a 1/2 mile away from the people... but think about it... 50,000 flashes all at once? I bet you a kid using a P&S with the lens cap on at the top row will get a perfectly exposed picture. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I did find it amusing when someone used flash during the day, though... until I learned that it WAS an advantage. Strike one for personal ignorance... lol

Hmmm.... photography pet peaves....

I have photographed pet dogs, pet cats, pet snakes, pet fish and even a pet pig... but I don't think I have ever photographed a pet peave...

LOL :lmao:

I've seen people taking flash photos of the moon.

I stated the exact same thing to my wife when we were watching the Superbowl.

I thought I already posted in this thread. Is there a pet peeve in the off-topic section as well perhaps?

Anyways, my photography pet peeve is people on this very forum, and other forums calling anything other than a dSLR, a point and shoot camera. I definitely do not just point and shoot my camera. Point and Shoot cameras are exactly that, no manual settings, or very limited settings. You just point and shoot it.

1) When people look at my camera and say "wow, that must have cost a lot. I bet IT takes some good pictures." After all the work ive put and am still putting into learning how to take good pictures has been a waste if i would have known there is a setting in the expensive camera for it....

2) In my galleries when i get 100 photo views and no comments -_-

3) When my favorite photo of the bunch (one i think is best) is the one least mentioned and the "snapshoot" looking photo gets the highest praise.

ummm.......ditto :grumpy:

I have another one...

today I was shooting in Cades Cove ( National Park ) at hign noon, no clouds, sun burning my face. I had my camera on a tripod and a guy asked me if I was doing long exposures. WTF?

I've seen people taking flash photos of the moon.

during that lunar eclipse a couple weeks ago, there was a lot of that going on at my school.....

my pet peeves, many of which have already been mentioned...

-"wow, you must have a really nice camera"
-people standing in front of your shot
-i dont like brand wars, (honestly) but i hate it when someone , for whatever reason, thinks that their brand is better than yours. (almost like saying, "man, you should totally be using colgate toothpaste, its SO much better than crest!"

- megapixels
-arrogant camera store employees

I stated the exact same thing to my wife when we were watching the Superbowl.

I thought I already posted in this thread. Is there a pet peeve in the off-topic section as well perhaps?

Anyways, my photography pet peeve is people on this very forum, and other forums calling anything other than a dSLR, a point and shoot camera. I definitely do not just point and shoot my camera. Point and Shoot cameras are exactly that, no manual settings, or very limited settings. You just point and shoot it.

what else WOULD you call it though? i dont think its meant to be demeaning or anythign to the people who use them. I consider a camera i had a couple years ago a point and shoot , even though it was probably the closest thing to a dSLR you could get... (all manual settings, 12X optical zoom, even the ability to attach a filter) . I think its just that the term "point and shoot" was coined before anything much better was really made yet in the field of non-dSLR digicams, so the name stuck.

what else WOULD you call it though? i dont think its meant to be demeaning or anythign to the people who use them. I consider a camera i had a couple years ago a point and shoot , even though it was probably the closest thing to a dSLR you could get... (all manual settings, 12X optical zoom, even the ability to attach a filter) . I think its just that the term "point and shoot" was coined before anything much better was really made yet in the field of non-dSLR digicams, so the name stuck.

That's actually called a prosumer, it's pretty much between a DSLR and a p&s

well, i think the line is getting blurry... you could consider a nikon d40, or a sony a200 prosumer these days, both are relatively affordable and more and more people are buying them and, sadly, using them as point and shoots..... but yeah, you're right on that, i just dont really think the word is all that common, and it almost sounds more like a level, instead of an actual title, becasue isnt a point and shoot, technically called a consumer camera then? and a nice dslr considered a professional camera? liek how although nobody is SUPPOSED to call facial tissues Kleenex, pretty much everyone does anyway..

Most reactions

Back