Photography Rates

JPPLAY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a photography and I will be most likely be selling my first set of pictures. The rates that the magazine sent me seemed rather low.
The rates is $15/published photo, with higher rates for covers ($100) and
contents page photos ($45).
There used to be a site where you could see how much you should be getting by putting in how many people the magazine sells to. Anyone have a link or on rates. These rates may just partly cover my travelling expensives. Thank you.

Well this is just me, but personally, if I was going to sell my first set of photos, I would probably take the loss the first few times to make a name for myself with the quality. As the demand for my work went up, I'd start charging more... just my two cents. :D

The thing is with photography alot of times it not your name but what shots you can produce to the editor. Having a good reputation doesn't hurt though at all.

JPPLAY said:
The rates that the magazine sent me seemed rather low.

Most magazines have standard rates, and sometimes it does seem low, but that's what they pay, and unless the images are something amazing, it's unlikely they will barter (what would their photog regulars say?).

It's not just about the magazine's circulation, there is a reality factor that comes in to play. I recently sold usage of some of my photos for a television commercial. Now at the Getty Images website it says those are worth $1800 each, but when I went and talked to friends in the commercial TV business locally, I was told that $200 was average for my area.

yeah, Anyone who doesn't have a copy of the photographers market needs to get one...that is the best book you can own if you are wanting to sell images. It's like a bible to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back