Photography School.

TelekinesisKeith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How many of you actually went to school for photography?
If so..How did you like it?
Is it worth it to go if you would like to make a profession out of photography?
Where did you go?

I think photography is something I'd rather learn on my own than pay to learn.
clear.gif

I'm current going to a local university taking a photography diploma.

I think its giving a great base of information to start with. I won't feel comfortable in my skill to start a business once i am done, but its a great foundation and I've learned alot.

The class set I'm taking is:

- Visuals in digital imaging (40 hour course)
- Photographic Styles (40 hour course)
- Light, Subject and Concept development (40 hour course)
- Photoshop basics (40 hour course)
- Fashion Photography (20 hour course)
- Product Photography (20 hour course)
- Photojournalism (20 hour course)
- Portraiture and Weddings (20 hour course)

I can also take level 2 classes for Fashion, Product, Photojournalism and up to 7 other Photoshop classes.

However, to become a decent photographer, its all about practice and trying things out. No amount of classes can replace a good working session. I found that it helped me get a basis, on which I can now build.

You see, I have the opportunity to go to the Art Institute. I've already been accepted, I am just worrying about the cost of it...it is expensive. So I was wondering if it is still possible to have a career in photography without attending a school for it. I don't mean career as in self employed either..what i mean is working with studios or magazines, anything like that.

i took photo I and II as part of the core for my graphic design BA.

i LOVED it. (hence my current obsession:D)

You see, I have the opportunity to go to the Art Institute. I've already been accepted, I am just worrying about the cost of it...it is expensive. So I was wondering if it is still possible to have a career in photography without attending a school for it. I don't mean career as in self employed either..what i mean is working with studios or magazines, anything like that.

I would think it definatly is possible to be a working pro without going to school. You have access to alot of information on the web to help guide and train you the basics.

However, I have made some good contacts in taking my classes. From photographers who already have decent paying gigs who I can second shoot for, to even my teachers helping me out with contacts. I'm going to approach my wedding/portrait teacher with helping me find some wedding photogs to second shoot / assist. I love the idea of learning from a pro on the job.

Coming from someone who works in the academic field, let me tell you how photography school will help you if you want to be a photographer for your profession.

RESUME!

Like everything else, if you are wanting to get a job working for a big company as a photographer (non-independent), then going to photography school is just going to add to your resume.

Think about it like this: If you apply for one of those jobs, they are likely to ask for two things; a resume and your portfolio. If they have two people considered for the job and one went to school for photography but has just an average portfolio; and the other did not go to such a school, but has an amazing portfolio, they probably will hire the one with the better real-world work. Because to them, they want someone who can take good pictures, and simply going to school won't guarantee that. (This is just my guess/opinion, not factual information)

The problem with trying to learn on your own is that you don't know what you don't know. You have no basis for designing a ciriculum that ensures all the bases get covered, so it takes longer and it can leave serious holes in you knowledge.

As another poster mentioned formal schooling looks good on a resume'. Graduating from a formal training program show an employeer that you can follow direction and complete assignments. You can also foust a grade point average if it is advantagous to you. Self taught affords none of that.

Consider all the facets needed to be a working professional photographer because taking pictures is only part of the job, wheather you have your own business or are an employee.

Good schooling cost money but you're investing in yourself.

Good luck to you whichever path you choose.

Most reactions

Back