Photography School?

def agree with that. i need off camera flash. do you recommend something for my camera? any umbrellas? i would like enough lighting to do some good portraits.

Get a pair of 40 dollar Cactus Triggers. Really straightforward and easy to use. You'll need to have your flash on manual, but it's really the most controlled way to do it and get even and consistent results. However, I've never had any experience with TTL Off camera, so I can't vouch for it.

It would benefit you to learn how to use manual flash off camera for the future.

question. why would i need a pair of triggers while i only have 1 flash?

are you referring to this? Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger :: Cactus 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger Set V2s

So you can use it off camera. Off camera flash = the best.

Get a pair of 40 dollar Cactus Triggers. Really straightforward and easy to use. You'll need to have your flash on manual, but it's really the most controlled way to do it and get even and consistent results. However, I've never had any experience with TTL Off camera, so I can't vouch for it.

It would benefit you to learn how to use manual flash off camera for the future.

question. why would i need a pair of triggers while i only have 1 flash?

are you referring to this? Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger :: Cactus 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger Set V2s

So you can use it off camera. Off camera flash = the best.

i know. but if i have 1 sb 600 wouldnt that be the off camera flash? so why would i need a pair of triggers? surly one trigger is for one flash. what am i missing here lol

Last edited:
I have a d5000 with a sb600. I use the cactus v4 to trigger the sb600 off camera (not mounted to the hotshoe of the camera). My camera wasn't made to send a signal to the sb600 off camera, so I use my cactus unit. The reciever that attaches to the flash and the sender attaches to the hotshoe of my camera and it works.

I'm all for further education but you will only get out what you put int it. I did the NYIP program but didn't put much effort into it so for me it was a waste. But that doesn't mean it won't work for someone else who is more comfortable with correspondence courses. What I like about formal classes from a University or community college is the interaction and feedback from classmates and teachers. And the hands on demonstrations. I definitely do better in a classroom. That said, online courses, self teaching etc...even though they didn't work for me might work for you.

I have a BFA in Studio Art from a state university. They only had 3 photography classes available but they were very valuable. My concentration was in graphic design and that is my main career with photography only a small part of what I do.

A degree may help in the design field but for photography a degree alone won't do much for you. Just keep in mind that the design field is super saturated and the guy that has 5-10 years experience is scarfing up all the jobs.

so i only need one wireless trigger because i only have one flash...correct?

You need one for the hotshoe on the camera and one for the flash.

I recommend SI Newhouse at Syracuse University. It has a top notch photography program or even the Academy of Arts University you can complete your photography degree all online. I can’t vouch how good the Academy of Art is but when I was at Syracuse it really helped mold me as a photographer.

Panasonic has a program of digital photography classes in a couple dozen cities around the US. They do a good job of tailoring the contents to be camera brand agnostic (they don't push their products too hard) They have classes designed for multiple experience levels and learning goals (they things like have Photoshop classes). It's called the Digital Photo Academy and the prices are a la carte & very reasonable.

school is good, but i read 3 photography books in 2 weeks and learned more in those two weeks then I think i would have learned in two weeks of a photo school. But if you have the time and money go for it =)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back