Photography Schools

martinb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am wondering, have a lot of you gone to photography school at all and if so, what school?
In July I may be going to Brooks Institute of Photography in Ventura, CA.
I am majoring in photojournalism but I also applied to Harrington College of Design for photography which is in Chicago, and Columbia College in Chicago for photography.

Brooks is most likely where I will be attending tho, and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about these schools and do you have any feedback on them?
Thanks!

Brooks is supposedly a wonderful school.

I have heard a lot of the same and I am hoping they do live up to what I've heard. They have a few people on their advisory board that work for National Geographic which is sweet cause that's my dream job, or TIME mag.
I'm really nervous though getting into this kind of environment and I am at such a beginner skill. I was going to the University of Cincinnati for 2 1/2 yrs majoring in Liberal Arts and going on a Pre-Law track, but it's just not what I enjoy.
Photography was what I first wanted to go for, but I am still pretty new at it. I am surprised not a lot of people have gone to school for photography on here.

I went to a school here in Cincinnati called Antonelli college... as for if I would recommend going to a school... I have found that you get out of a school what you put into it. It was a pretty good experience for me though, not as much as what I learned, as it was just doing it every day, and meeting different people that are in the industry.

I have heard that Brooks is the place to go if you want to go into photojournalism. But if you want to go into studio or other avenues its not. But that was awhile ago, so I'm not quite sure now.

Ask yourself, is it worth $165,000 to have a bachelors in photography?

Now if it's a BFA, where you have an emphasis on photo, than sure.

I almost went to brooks, I know people who've been there. I chose the Art Institute in Seattle over Brooks and so did they. I don't regret my decision. Cost alone keeps me from regretting it. The people that I knew that transferred from brooks to AI were about 50/50 on the transfer. 2 thought it as a good move for costs and education, the other 2 thought it was the worst decision they ever made. But overall for everyone attending AI, the general consensus was the AI (seattle as of 2007) teachers were amazing, but the administration disregards the students.

You can spend a bunch of money to have formal training, which can be the best option depending on how you learn, but you can also spend the money you'll spend on school on equipment, books, and spend the time researching (eg. strobist) and learning it yourself.

Your call. A BFA can be a valuable resource, but if you've got the drive and confidence to teach yourself, than school may not be the best option if you know you can make money shooting and don't need a safety net.

Ask yourself, is it worth $165,000 to have a bachelors in photography?

Now if it's a BFA, where you have an emphasis on photo, than sure.

I almost went to brooks, I know people who've been there. I chose the Art Institute in Seattle over Brooks and so did they. I don't regret my decision. Cost alone keeps me from regretting it. The people that I knew that transferred from brooks to AI were about 50/50 on the transfer. 2 thought it as a good move for costs and education, the other 2 thought it was the worst decision they ever made. But overall for everyone attending AI, the general consensus was the AI (seattle as of 2007) teachers were amazing, but the administration disregards the students.

You can spend a bunch of money to have formal training, which can be the best option depending on how you learn, but you can also spend the money you'll spend on school on equipment, books, and spend the time researching (eg. strobist) and learning it yourself.

Your call. A BFA can be a valuable resource, but if you've got the drive and confidence to teach yourself, than school may not be the best option if you know you can make money shooting and don't need a safety net.

That is great information thank you...

Most reactions

Back