photography studio equipment

Mel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been using my SLRs for about 5 years now. I love to take pictures and I would like to go to the next level. I'm interested in opening a small studio for mainly portraits. I've been reading and finding things out about what to get. I am getting the book "Master lighting guide". I know I need to have my walls 18% grey. I know I can just go and buy fabric for back drops. Now......... all that said and done... where do I go next. I have the B&H newest catalog. i'm looking in there for studio equipment and I'm not really sure where to start. I have what you all call "the toy camera" Nikon D40. I believe it takes great pictures.... maybe it's the person behind the camera ;). technically I have only one lens for it, it is the one that came with the camera 18mm-55mm. Now I know and have heard that a 50mm lens is the way to go for studio portraits? true? what other ones? also what lamps... what is the best kit to get for a first time studio, but later on can add to it? Or should I not go for a kit? should i get everything separate? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ok so is this a stupid question? no one has anything to say on this?? Just wondering.

It's a hard question to answer. I've seen great quality photos come out of bare old warehouses using natural light.
I know a Kodak Master who loves doing portraits in the DOORWAY of his studio.
And I've been to friends' studios that make my slober with envy:Several full sets, wall mounted sliding studio lights, rotating walls.....

I guess what I'm saying is that there are about a million ways to do it.
What direction SPECIFICALLY are you trying to go?
BTW-welcome to the forum :)

Go talk to some professional portrait photographers in your area. Bet you get some Googling ideas. And it's fun to actually "see" some of the equipment.

I work in an A/V lab. I wouldn't even think of a studio because I can't afford the equipment. I just have my nudes sit on the kitchen stool and shoot them there.

It's funny watching them run out the back door when the wife gets home.

It's funny watching them run out the back door when the wife gets home.

You are obviously not a pro... or if you are, not for a very long time.

We all know that when pro 'Tog's wife comes home to her hubby while on the job, she walks by the model, makes a comment about their small breasts, yawns and goes makes you a sandwich.

I have Alien Bees lighting and have really been enjoying them. Happy with the products, prices, service, etc.

I suppose there are probably differing opinions on this, but I'm thinking you'd want longer focal lengths for portrait work?

Bev

Most reactions

Back