Photography theft...

dkphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First and foremost, let me please state that the following description has nothing to do with me, or my studio. A few of us photographers, in my circle of photo-friends, are concerned to have heard of this, what she refers to herself as a "professional photographer", and how she is treating her clients. I would like some feedback, advice, and how one would go about prosecuting this woman, for what she's doing.

There is a "newbie" photographer here local to where I am. She has stated to clients, which have told us directly, that she just bought a new camera, and decided to become a photographer. She has charged people that I know, and have known for a couple of years, as well as others that I don't personally know, over $3000 for pictures. Yes i understand that some photographers can charge that....if they have great pictures, and not something that looks like it was taken with a throw-away camera. The clients pay her the dues, but then 3-5 months go by, and she refuses to send the final product. In some instances, she asks for more money for the pictures to be shipped to the client, and still after they're dumb enough to have paid it, nothing is sent their way. I had a lady email me the other day, stating she paid the lady $2000 for her son's senior pictures back in June of this year. To this date, she still has never gotten any proof books, any disc, or any pictures.

What I'm wanting to know, is, for the sake of these poor clients, who have fallen for this gal's scam, is what they can do? I know they can go to the City Attorney's office - but this gal's dad works for the City Attorney. Please help me, help all the people she has scammed in the area. Is there anything that can be done, to 1) get this lady for theft (that's what I would call it!), 2) get this lady to give the clients their pictures, and/or 3) get refunds to these people...???

Like I said above, I'm looking for advice, feedback, and suggestions of what to tell these people. She has scammed over 50 people in the area of where I reside. It's time to put a stop to it. Thanks!

Tell them to go see A LAWYER. There's not just one lawyer in all of Waterloo, I'm sure.

I say call the local news channel and let them get at her. I know around Philadelphia there is one person per major station whose job is to track down a-holes like this and broadcast the story.

Many tv statins have a reporter who does stores of people who have been scammed. Thy confront the prison who is running the scam on camera. I would tell the people to all contact the local tv station. Once the station gets several people with stories all complaining about the same person I'm betting they will do a news story on it.

I say call the local news channel and let them get at her. I know around Philadelphia there is one person per major station whose job is to track down a-holes like this and broadcast the story.

Lol looks like you posted while I was typing.

Or you know... GET A LAWYER. :er:

Apparently - now, I don't know this for sure, it's only hear-say from some of her clients, who have talked to me, and told me the situation. The gal is telling people that her dad works for the city attorney's office. I'm just trying to look out for future people who can get scammed by this lady. She's definitely not acting like a professional photographer. And if you saw her work, you'd say she isn't one!

Ok, her dad works for God. If she gets in trouble, he could be declared corrupt and dethroned if she isn't prosecuted based in his position alone

If those clients are paying $1000s for their photos and not getting them they should be in more than a suitable financial position to hire lawyers of their own to deal with the problem.

I seriously doubt ANYBODY would pay 2G for seniors pictures unless you got money out the ass. And if you do, I'm sure you got tons of lawyers who would squeeze that photographer to dry. GTFOH.

$dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

I've pretty much always lived by the observation that nobody can take advantage of you without your permission. People who are being ripped off should be able to deal with this fairly easily.. regardless of how well connected the "photographer" is. You don't need to get sucked into their battle unless you're being defrauded as well. Listen to e. rose, just tell them to get a lawyer. I'm willing to bet something will happen once legal action is initiated against her.

Tell them to go see A LAWYER.
^This.
Or they can contact the police. If they think nothing would be done because of her father's position, they can try the State Police.

Most reactions

Back