Photography theft...

Leave it alone, it's not your battle, it's theirs. The fact that you have people emailing you about this woman tells me that you have made this some sort of "personal crusade." If you want to advise them, the best advice has already been given. Tell them to Get. A. Lawyer. I don't care if her dad is the Mayor, if they are paying for products that they are not getting, they have a case.

Now, if I just *had* to get more involved than that...besides the TV station angle that's been mentioned, I wonder if anyone has asked to see her business license, to make sure she even HAS one. If she can't produce a business license, you could just report her. BUT---seriously, I wouldn't do ANY of that over hiring a lawyer, because if you do that BEFORE someone hires a lawyer, you're just gonna end up making a mess of things. She'll probably sue for harassment and win... :lol:

dkphoto said:
Apparently - now, I don't know this for sure, it's only hear-say from some of her clients, who have talked to me, and told me the situation. The gal is telling people that her dad works for the city attorney's office. I'm just trying to look out for future people who can get scammed by this lady. She's definitely not acting like a professional photographer. And if you saw her work, you'd say she isn't one!

You know who else could do that??????

A LAWYER.

How about stay out of it?

Don't buy trouble.

This thread has win all over it
bigthumb.gif

Anyone suggest a lawyer yet?

$internet lawyer meme.jpg
(Bitter Jeweler's bird.)

First and foremost, let me please state that the following description has nothing to do with me, or my studio. A few of us photographers, in my circle of photo-friends, are concerned to have heard of this, what she refers to herself as a "professional photographer", and how she is treating her clients. I would like some feedback, advice, and how one would go about prosecuting this woman, for what she's doing.

There is a "newbie" photographer here local to where I am. She has stated to clients, which have told us directly, that she just bought a new camera, and decided to become a photographer. She has charged people that I know, and have known for a couple of years, as well as others that I don't personally know, over $3000 for pictures. Yes i understand that some photographers can charge that....if they have great pictures, and not something that looks like it was taken with a throw-away camera. The clients pay her the dues, but then 3-5 months go by, and she refuses to send the final product. In some instances, she asks for more money for the pictures to be shipped to the client, and still after they're dumb enough to have paid it, nothing is sent their way. I had a lady email me the other day, stating she paid the lady $2000 for her son's senior pictures back in June of this year. To this date, she still has never gotten any proof books, any disc, or any pictures.

What I'm wanting to know, is, for the sake of these poor clients, who have fallen for this gal's scam, is what they can do? I know they can go to the City Attorney's office - but this gal's dad works for the City Attorney. Please help me, help all the people she has scammed in the area. Is there anything that can be done, to 1) get this lady for theft (that's what I would call it!), 2) get this lady to give the clients their pictures, and/or 3) get refunds to these people...???

Like I said above, I'm looking for advice, feedback, and suggestions of what to tell these people. She has scammed over 50 people in the area of where I reside. It's time to put a stop to it. Thanks!
Once again. Those who have issue with the photographer need to consult a qualified attorney. An online photography forum is a poor place to be seeking legal advice.

If what you report here is true, it is more likely fraud has been committed than photography theft. Fraud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After all, any photos the photographer makes are owned by the photographer - If/until the photographer transfers the photo copyrights to someone else.

Like I said above, I'm looking for advice, feedback, and suggestions of what to tell these people. She has scammed over 50 people in the area of where I reside. It's time to put a stop to it. Thanks!

Didn't we just go through this a couple of days ago?

Different day, different thread.

why are you even involved? are these people personal friends of yours? are you worried about the reputation of professional photographers? if it's the latter, you've got to be kidding me. scammers exist everywhere, her impact to the reputation of any legit photographer is minimal to non-existent. but if the reputation of photographers is really the noble cause in which you are concerned, your time is probably best spent bettering your own product rather than worrying about some other photographer.

Most reactions

Back