photography trends

Shadowbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm curious from long-time photographers .. which trends have you seen last the decades, which have faded and which trends now do you think will fade again in the future? Basically, what are the standard "trends" (maybe not a trend since it lasts) that fifty years from now can be seen on a photo and someone doesn't think 'cheeeeesy'.

I noticed that the over-processed & over-exposed look is really hot right now, is this something which comes and goes? Do you think it will last?

They all fade. I've seen super saturation, vintage (still popular), selective color, Jesus in a Brandy Glass, Jesus Looking over the Ceremony, (PJ (LOL) tilts), sunbursts, flares, textures and every damn gimmick that people will fall for.

And it will work for a while. And then bye bye.

Trends suck. Do them if you want, for a photo or two, and then leave them.

YMMV

The one trend that has endured the ages is for well constructed, and well thought out imagery communicating emotion, information, empathy, shock, beauty, ... etc. Tilts, false color, selective color, deliberate out of focus, lens baby distortions, loony tunes hdr effects, and others I'm sure all tend to get boring very fast when used more than once in a portfolio.

Go look in museums and long lasting exhibitions, the technique trends of the images seen there are what will last.

It's just interesting to me, like in fashion how trends come & go & a lot of people look back at their high school years and think 'wth' .. I haven't reached that point yet because a lot of the trends from my HS days are still kinda common but I see this same type of thing happening in photography. Actually I prefer a more timeless and classic traditional look, however boring that may be, over trends. I was just curious if there are any trends now that seem to have real potential or if there are any that stuck around which surprised you. I'm actually far from a trendy person lol but I do see the world differently and that is how I hope my photos come across with or without trends in them.

LOL at Jesus pics, I forgot about those but now that you mention it I do think I have seen a few in the past.

More and more people get into photography, and when they wonder how to compose their photos, they look at other peoples work. Be it reproducing whole compositions, or just subtle techniques (like what you listed above), certain styles perpetuate themselves slowly; and I am referring to other things besides your traditional composition techniques, like rule of thirds, monochrome, etc

I'm not an oldie, so I can't really say much more, but I know what you mean.

Looking forward to HDR fading, for sure.

edit add: Like selective coloring did :)

HDR will still prevail where it is used well for illustration purposes or for handling extremes of lighting within the same scene.

skieur

HDR will still prevail where it is used well for illustration purposes or for handling extremes of lighting within the same scene.

skieur

HDR in this instance is just another way of dodging/burning, it's the 'bad acid trip' type processing that I hope fades.

Patrice; Timothy Allen is a seriously gifted individual, isn't he?

HDR wont die until a sensor comes along that can handle 20+ stops of dynamic range. For now its a necessity to compensate. Tone mapping is a fad and I'm sure it will fade over the next few years......

spacefuzz said:
HDR wont die until a sensor comes along that can handle 20+ stops of dynamic range. For now its a necessity to compensate. Tone mapping is a fad and I'm sure it will fade over the next few years......

Well technically speaking you can shoot 20 different exposures (or thereabouts) by just shooting 2 or 3 different brackets.. Photos produced from today's cameras are very close to what we see, HDR images are surreal; it isn't NECESSARY to compensate - you have to be going for the HDR look.

The trend to iuse video grabs and pass them off as still images, while technically they are still images, I don't consider them as photography. More and more news outlets are using video in place of still photographers. With the quality of hi-def video, this in my opinion is a photo-destructive trend that unfortunately is the way of the future. Wen even the high end cameras are capable of more than just stills, you know that it is only a matter if time until they will be video cameras capable of stills.

spacefuzz said:

Well technically speaking you can shoot 20 different exposures (or thereabouts) by just shooting 2 or 3 different brackets.. Photos produced from today's cameras are very close to what we see.

Uh, NO, they are not close to what we see! Digital photos are somewhat similar to television camera images, which means they are overly contrasty and do not show much detail in shadow areas. Our eyes pick up more detail in mixed range lighting in a scene, than a camera does.

skieur

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back