Photography Website Question

Christie Photo- I just went to your website and it didn't take long at all to load. I absolutly love your classic style of photography! Very nice, will never go out of style. I also very much like that your images are not Photoshoped to death. Nice classic style.

Thanks for the kind words!!

-Pete

Any Flash is too much Flash
Far from the truth (I know you said more than just the above in your post). When used correctly Flash is a great way to display images online, the trick with it is not to go overboard with pointless animations and effects etc, which is what %90 of sites do.

Subtle and descrete is the key with Flash IMO and when used in this way it works very well indeed.

It's always worth having a backup plan for those that can't access it though. Mine for example comes up with a little clicky link to go to my blog instead if the visitor cannot see my main site.

Oh, and I am not a fan of splash pages. They are pretty pointless I think, the more clicks your viewer has to do to navigate the quicker you will lose their attention.

well personally i think you should make a website that you yourself would go to and enjoy looking at and coming back to. If you create a website based on what everyone else says it "good" then you might end up with something you don't like at all.

just do what you feel will make your website look better.

Flash looks great on sites. The one drawback is that pages will load very slow for people with slower internet connection speeds. You will also not be able to use services like Fotomoto on the pages because it can't "grab" the photo information.

The other issue is that Flash is really not SEO-friendly, and you will also have issues with site visitors that don't have Flash installed and/or are not working on a recent version of Flash.

Some photographers I've worked with have Flash and plain HTML versions of their site...

Flash looks great on sites. The one drawback is that pages will load very slow for people with slower internet connection speeds. You will also not be able to use services like Fotomoto on the pages because it can't "grab" the photo information.

The other issue is that Flash is really not SEO-friendly, and you will also have issues with site visitors that don't have Flash installed and/or are not working on a recent version of Flash.

Some photographers I've worked with have Flash and plain HTML versions of their site...

thanks for posting first off. what is Fotomoto & what does it do?
as well as SEO?
Some photographers I've worked with have Flash and plain HTML versions of their site....
How do they build their websites with two different versions 1. flash 2. html?

My recommendation is whether you use flash or not is to make sure that your customer can easily find what service they are looking for and then have an easy way to contact you. Sure flash is the enemy of SEO, but for all you SEO lovers out there the ones who don't understand SEO are unlikely to get ranked anyway and focus more on word-of-mouth marketing. So they can use flash and it really won't matter. I prefer SEO because that is how I get most of my business therefore I have no flash at all, but I do make sure that my visitors can easily find what they are looking for an organized manner.

just my $.02

Most reactions

New Topics

Back