Photogrpahy at the zoo

I have a couple of friends that live in the Detroit area that have been bugging me to come up for a visit... I am planning to do so "some time"... but not until next year at least (obviously).

Zoo picture taking in the north is not good (with certain exceptions) in the winter, since the foliage is all dead and a majority of the animals need it 50 degrees or warmer to be out.

Which is, by the way, why my first zoos of the new year are Hilo and Honolulu, when we visit ye-ole hometown in January.

Remind me again why I am not living on the Kona coast any more, and instead am in Missouri? I forget.

Oh.

If a few people from here go, I'd love to join at the Detroit zoo. I'm REALLY close. We should start a thread when the time comes next year when it's getting warmer. I'd love to see how you guys get some of your shots. Especially you sabbath, your zoo shots are amazing.

Anyways...

People! Take pics of what you like!

Zoos, aquariums, paintings, computer screens, TVs....who cares? The reason you got into photography was probably "it's fun" so....keep having fun!

I am not a professional wildlife photographer, so I am one of the lame people taking photos at the zoo. However, I DO study human behavior for a living. And can tell you this is his way of getting attention. Being an ass is better than being ignored.

I am just sorry that the OP was subjected to the crap just for asking a simple question.

My father is an analyst. I understand where you think you're coming from, but you're wrong. This isn't about me. I didn't speak out here because I felt a need to be heard. I spoke out because I believe that zoo photography is in almost all instances wrong. I make no apologies if that's partially derailed this thread. If you really believed that I was just seeking attention, and not simply seeking your own, you wouldn't have given me the "pleasure"" of your response.

My father is an analyst. I understand where you think you're coming from, but you're wrong. This isn't about me. I didn't speak out here because I felt a need to be heard. I spoke out because I believe that zoo photography is in almost all instances wrong. I make no apologies if that's partially derailed this thread. If you really believed that I was just seeking attention, and not simply seeking your own, you wouldn't have given me the "pleasure"" of your response.

might I suggest...

"quit feedin the fire"

?

Thank you all very much. Unfortunately, if the 2 times converter reduces the lens by three stops, I'm going to have to use it without, so I'll have a 200mm f5.6 lens. Will this blur fences enough?

All these decades I thought a 2X lost you 2 stops. Hummmmm........ I guess I need to re-educate myself.

If you are close enough, the fences are far enough behind the subject and your aperture is big enough to isolate the subject, yes the fences will be blurred. At f/5.6, the fence will need to be far away.

All these decades I thought a 2X lost you 2 stops. Hummmmm........ I guess I need to re-educate myself.

If you are close enough, the fences are far enough behind the subject and your aperture is big enough to isolate the subject, yes the fences will be blurred. At f/5.6, the fence will need to be far away.
Ok, thanks for the information.

Most reactions

Back