Photojournalists, how do you find the news?

Be up to date about what is going on in your city/town/neighbourhood.
Don´t stay home...be out there.
Police scanner if possible
Mobile phone (buddies can call you if they know you are looking for stuff)
Consider using a bike if the area suits it...could be faster!
Laptop with WiFi...with you all the time.
Keep your head down a bit, but shoot...even when the policeman is yelling at you to back up or put the camera down.
Keep a spare memory card to swap out if they get really nasty...give them the blank...be clear about that point. Even if they were in the wrong, and your card is gone...guaranteed you photos are GONE!
Phone numbers of agencies to contact the moment you see anything.

But, Shoot first...ask questions later!!!

Iv heard of one guy with the wireless transmitter on his camera that transmitts the image allmost real time to his nearby in the van laptop were its then forwarded to the server. Thus offering real time on scene stills of breaking news.

Iv heard of one guy with the wireless transmitter on his camera that transmitts the image allmost real time to his nearby in the van laptop were its then forwarded to the server. Thus offering real time on scene stills of breaking news.

Those eye-fi cards should be good for that as long as you shoot only JPEG.

Wow, I didn't expect to get so many great responses! Thanks so much, all of this is helping a lot. A lot of things I wouldn't have thought of.

I'm going try and start trying my luck next week, and start letting everyone I know to contact me with anything newsworthy they see.

This should be fun, even if I can't sell the photo's.

Thanks again! :)

Most reactions

Back