Photokina 2010

i am waiting for the new nikon lenses to arrive at my local camera dealer; especially the 24-120. I would also take a look at the 28-300 but i am not a fan of the fstop changing on it's own, but the size and reach is tempting for reducing the weight of carrying around a lot of equipment , especially when traveling for fun not profit.;)

So.. Is Canon introducing a 24mm-70mm f/2.8 IS?

Saw this on the "hopes" link

"Surprises?- These days it's rare for there to be any really big surprises during the show itself (though it's not unheard of). We do know of a couple of announcements due on the opening day, but we pray for a genuine surprise. Will Olympus announce that the E-5 is the last Four Thirds camera with a mirror (as they've been hinting)?, will Canon and/or Nikon surprise us with a mirrorless system camera or large sensor compact? Will Fujifilm announce a new film camera? (oh, yeah ,that's right, they did that last time), will there be a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III or Nikon D700 upgrade? Only time will tell, and we'll be on the show floor to ensure you get the very latest news as it happens."

Please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please!!!! :smileys::smileys::smileys:

Im currently in Frankfurt, Germany and due to my Schedule I won't be able to make it to Koln, Germany for the convention. It sucks I am new to photography but very interested in checking it out. Plus it would be great to purchase some camera equipment using my vat form prior to leaving the country.
:thumbdown:

Saw this on the "hopes" link

"Surprises?- These days it's rare for there to be any really big surprises during the show itself (though it's not unheard of). We do know of a couple of announcements due on the opening day, but we pray for a genuine surprise. Will Olympus announce that the E-5 is the last Four Thirds camera with a mirror (as they've been hinting)?, will Canon and/or Nikon surprise us with a mirrorless system camera or large sensor compact? Will Fujifilm announce a new film camera? (oh, yeah ,that's right, they did that last time), will there be a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III or Nikon D700 upgrade? Only time will tell, and we'll be on the show floor to ensure you get the very latest news as it happens."

Please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please!!!! :smileys::smileys::smileys:
I'm with you. Suddenly, technology is moving so slowly. Even with the new Fuji, it's looks like we're going backwards to move forward.

Its started..

Introduction: Photokina 2010 Show Report: Digital Photography Review

What interests you? Anyone near there going? Give us what you think.

So far, Fuji caught my interest being discussed here:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...18148-fuji-finepix-x100-photokina-2010-a.html

Funny, the first and second post in this thread are about Nikon and Canon.

usayit said:
Sw1tchFX said:
i can't believe there's only 6 (including this one) posts about this camera here..

Its a discussion that doesn't focus on "nikon" or "canon". TPF (more than most other forums I participate) seems strongly against anything non-nikon nor non-canon.... snip

I guess I was right..eh...

Personally, I think nikon and canon have been in the ISO and MPx count race so long that they forgot about moving their designs forward.

Last edited:
Its started..

Introduction: Photokina 2010 Show Report: Digital Photography Review

What interests you? Anyone near there going? Give us what you think.

So far, Fuji caught my interest being discussed here:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...18148-fuji-finepix-x100-photokina-2010-a.html

usayit said:
Sw1tchFX said:
i can't believe there's only 6 (including this one) posts about this camera here..

Its a discussion that doesn't focus on "nikon" or "canon". TPF (more than most other forums I participate) seems strongly against anything non-nikon nor non-canon.... snip

I guess I was right..eh...

I don't think anyone is against the other companies...we're just particularly excited about cannon and nikon news:mrgreen:

Wait there are other companies other than Canon? I've heard rumours of this Nikon group, but always considered them rather too strange to approach (flipflops and all!) but are you saying that there are even more of these groups? Like some sort of halfbreeds or mongral cameras?

PS really excited to hear how the new Canon teleconverters shape up as well as the new supertelephoto primes

Considering the vast majority of people on this forum (and in the world) shoot Nikon or Canon, I would think that its pretty normal

It's properly spelled "photokina"....all lower-case letters....isn't that weird???

The new Fuji fixed-lens, APS-C sized camera looks like, reminds me of a classic Leica, like the Leica Standard model of the 1930's...it's got the lens aperture adjustment concentrically mounted with the lens (where it should be!), the shutter speed on the top deck on a DIAL (the way it should be!), and,and,and both an optical AND EVF viewfinder systems!! Now that is the direction I think the buyers of such a camera would secretly love for more cameras to go...Sony's new NEX camera body takes, what is it? 14 or 18 or is it 21 presses of a button, just to switch the ISO value...analog controls, digital capture: Hooray! I just hope the price is affordable and not astronomical, like Fuji's new delicious-looking 670 folder, which is kinda' high-priced at around $1,799 or thereabouts.

Samyang's got a new 35mm f/1.4, and a new 85mm f/1.4 lens...kind of neat. The new Nikon P7000, sort fo the Canon G12 clone, looks neat as well...the new Nikon also has a hot shoe on top and a shutter speed dial on top, which I kinda' prefer to menu-based controls. I was thinking the new Nikon mirrorless interchangeable lens camera would be premiered at photkina, but maybe not...maybe the new D7000 will be the only new Nikon d-slr camera body that is announced at this time frame.

I dunno...seems like this is a quiet show so far...not a lot of Earth-shattering announcements so far...but the new Fuji does have beautiful design, and LOOKS like a real camera. I think it will find a niche.

grrrr!!!

Just when I thought Leica was done with those sky high priced "collectors" cameras and actually focused on bringing the M system into the digital world, they release this:

Leica introduces M9 'Titanium,' limited to just 500 lucious pieces -- Engadget

Oh well...

Titanium.. done before in both plated (m6 ti) and solid (m7 ti).
No strap lugs? .. huh?
LED illuminated framelines? common... not so special innovation could have been included in the regular consumer line.

500 only to be sold.. probably will never leave the display cases for real use..

Supposedly priced up there with the S2. No thanks.... even if I could. hope that's not all.

Last edited:
Olympus m4/3rd -> 75-300mm 4.8-6.7
Panasonic m4/3rd -> 100-300mm 4-5.6

Small pocketable lens with 600mm 35mm FOV. I'm interested in how they perform optically. I'm sure time will bring faster primes.

Panasonic also released 14mm f/2.5 prime. A very nice focal length prime on that system. At least on 35mm format 28mm effective FOV will keep the street shooters happy.

Most reactions

Back