Photomatix / HDR basic question

Doesn't say on your profile your camera.

Sorry about that. Nikon D80. I'm thinking 3 exposures would be enough for my needs.

So, with regard to the RAW images, which sequence is optimal:

1. Import three differently-exposed RAW images (as shot) into Photomatix, combine into one image, save as JPG, edit in PS.

2. First tweak these three RAW images (leaving the exposures untouched), then import into Photomatix, combine, save as JPG, edit in PS.

3. Edit three RAW images (except exposure), save as JPGs, import into Photomatix, combine into one image, edit in PS.

I'm sure there are more possibilities.

Thanks to all,

Jon
Actually, the dynamic range of the scene you are shooting determines how many exposures you need. 3 exposures is the minimum.

The D90 is fairly limited at only 3 auto brackets at a time. As mentioned you can always put the camera in aperture priority and manually vary the shutter speed for as many exposures as you want. It really depends on how much movement, if any, ther is in the scene you are trying to shoot.

The next level of Nikon, D200, D300, can do up to 9 auto brackets without resorting to exposure compensation tricks. You will also want to do your bracketed exposures using live view to eliminate mirror slap.

When you convert to JPEG as many as 3/4 of your pixels are discarded and the file is converted from 16-bit color to 8-bit color. Set Photomatixs to output the combined image as as a .TIFF so you retain all the pixel and color information. Edit in Photoshop with the 16-bit tools before you reduce the image to 8-bit color to finish editing with the 8-bit tools.

I recommend you don't convert to JPEG until you are ready to output the file to the web or a print.

Edit in Photoshop with the 16-bit tools before you reduce the image to 8-bit color to finish editing with the 8-bit tools. I recommend you don't convert to JPEG until you are ready to output the file to the web or a print.
Well, actually, I'll be editing in Photoshop Elements 7. Does this change your recommendations?

Which of my 3 scenarios above would you follow?

Thanks,

Jon

FWIW, Photomatix handles RAW images for HDR, but if you're doing exposure blending, it asks you to convert to JPEG first.

I'm using Photomatix Pro ver. 3.1.3.

Jon

IF I were to do anything.

PSP is $70 from JASC. You don't need anything else.
Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 - Photo Editing

Photomatix is $99. You still need to get an editing software.
HDR photo software & plugin - Tone Mapping, Exposure Fusion & HDR Imaging for photography

Photoshop elements is $139 I can't see where you can do HDR in it though.
photo editing | Adobe Photoshop Elements 7: Features

I am seeing that PSP is pretty powerful. I wouldn't mind having a plug in for cataloging my pictures. But I haven't gone looking for one either.

Well, actually, I'll be editing in Photoshop Elements 7. Does this change your recommendations?

Thanks,

Jon
No, doesn't change my recommendations.

FWIW, Photomatix handles RAW images for HDR, but if you're doing exposure blending, it asks you to convert to JPEG first.

I'm using Photomatix Pro ver. 3.1.3.

Jon
From Photomatix 'Quick Tutorial':

"The final blended image has a bit-depth of 16 bits/channel, even when your source images are 8-bit, but you can still choose to save it as JPEG, if desired. "

Choose to save it as a TIFF and keep it 16-bit..

Last edited:
Choose to save it as a TIFF and keep it 16-bit..

I did this, and my final image is one ginormous file (58MB). Wow, is that right?

You have to convert them first, Photomatrix doesn't recognize RAW files.

I always shoot in RAW, that gives me the option (later) to create different exposures if I choose to do so.

Also, don't limit yourself to 3 images - try 5 or even more for a greater effect. There's really no set way to do it, just play around until it looks good to you.

Not true, Photomatix can generate HDR. Although, I believe I am using the current version so it may be possible that later ones didn't support.

Good luck with the HDR... It is incredibly fun and easy to get amazing results.

You have some bad halos around the trees. But other than that awesome. But, feel free to push the blacks, it really gives it alot of depth.

For those recommending Paint Shop to do HDR ............ Photoshop also has an HDR converter, but it's vastly inferior to Photomatix. So, I've never tried Paint Shop, but there's a good chance it doesn't do as well as Photomatix, which is designed for this single purpose.

And remember, once you bring the 16bit Tiff into PS, convert it to 8bit.
After you have used any of the 16-bit capable tools and filters that are available that you want to use on the image.

Then convert to 8-bit mode and finish your editing with the 8-bit only capable tools and filters.

And remember, once you bring the 16bit Tiff into PS, convert it to 8bit.
After you have used any of the 16-bit capable tools and filters that are available that you want to use on the image.

Then convert to 8-bit mode and finish your editing with the 8-bit only capable tools and filters.

Thanks for defining it further :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back