If you see "grain" at ISO 100, you're just pixel peeping. All digital sensors have noise when inspected close up.

most of the images i took are grainy.what will be the reason? may be focusing or camera problem?
Again, I believe what your seeing is diffraction. Small apertures are not always going to give you optimal results. Find that sweet spot on your lens for these types of photos (op). Additionally, if your shooting at f/13 and 2000s, and your vr is on, you are making matters worse. Turn off VR when your shutter speed is double your focal length. Shoot in Aperture priority mode, select f/8, turn vr off, select focus point, confirm, compose, shoot. I helped a girl at the office with that same lens and camera, she was amazed, of course, she was shooting in some weird shooting mode, had all her settings messed up. We started over by resetting her camera, and I gave her the 10 min lesson. She is now making better images. Second lesson was shutter priority mode, third was manual mode, forth was AE lock with back light and fill flash. She is pretty stoked about photography now. She was ready to buy a new camera. Not so much now. Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks

Last edited:
most of the images i took are grainy.what will be the reason? may be focusing or camera problem?
For me that again sounds like too high ISO.
Sorry, but I´m still not convinced you are at ISO 100, if your camera tells you that, there must be something wrong. With your settings you wouldn´t get well exposed images - they should be way underexposed.
If you can´t upload a full image, maybe you can give us just a small crop of the image that shows the grain in full size. But try to include the metadata. That would help a lot!

Sorry, but I´m still not convinced you are at ISO 100, if your camera tells you that, there must be something wrong. With your settings you wouldn´t get well exposed images - they should be way underexposed.
If you can´t upload a full image, maybe you can give us just a small crop of the image that shows the grain in full size. But try to include the metadata. That would help a lot!

Attachments

• ii.jpg
    ii.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 162
That's not grainy, that's overexposed and out of focus...

When it comes to exposure, you need to understand that digital sensors have a limited dynamic range they can capture. If the scene is outside your dynamic range, some areas will be either too dark or too bright. There's really not much you can do about it except of choosing your scenes wisely. Try to avoid higher contrast scenes if possible. If you can't do that, think about what are you trying to capture and choose how you meter your scene, so your subject is properly exposed. You can also look at your camera's histogram to know if you're having any overexposed/underexposed parts. Some cameras have a feature to warn you about this too, but your entry-level nikon is not one of them I'm afraid.

If you want your whole picture to be sharp, use hyperfocal distance :) In some situations it can make a huge difference. There are topics here about getting sharp landscape images with great answers, so maybe search for them too to get a better idea how to achieve this.

the EXIF for this photo is ...

Camera: Nikon D3200
Lens: AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Shot at 18 mm
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/2,000 sec, f/13, ISO 11404, Compensation: +1/3
Flash: none
Focus: AF-S, at 5.6m, with a depth of field from about 1.0m to infinity
AF Area Mode: Contrast-detect (subject tracking)
Date: October 7, 2017 3:43:28AM (timezone not specified)
(3 days, 14 hours, 15 minutes, 15 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of 5½ hours ahead of GMT)

Look at your ISO ... 11,404
Not exactly 100

I suspect that 'auto ISO' is engaged. Even if it is SET to 100, the camera will automatically increase it to what is needed for a proper exposure when the shutter speed is pushed up and the aperture is closed down.

There you go, thanks for the image. Your ISO is 11.404. That is way too much. I suspect your ISO was set to Auto incidentally. You need to get your ISO to 100 or 200 for daylight shots to get the best out of your images. But that means that you have to change the other settings too, otherwise you would end up totally underexposed. You may want to read a bit about the exposure triangle - or maybe I can convince you to watch my free youtube course: PHOTO1x1 Free Photography Course

Thanks for ur replies...but how iso was that much?i saw in lcd it was displaying 100..is it fault in my camera or it normally happen?

Thanks for ur replies...but how iso was that much?i saw in lcd it was displaying 100..is it fault in my camera or it normally happen?
If the camera was set to "auto ISO", then the camera will adjust it to whatever value is required to produce a viewable image.

can i keep this camera or upgrade to nikon d5300 or d7200?
Can i buy tamron 70 300 mm lens or 35mm prime...

Do you have a specific reason why you think your current camera is not enough for you?

can i keep this camera or upgrade to nikon d5300 or d7200?
Can i buy tamron 70 300 mm lens or 35mm prime...
You will have similar problems with better cameras, though they are better at higher ISOs.
But until you learn more about the exposure traingle and how to improve your selections you'll still have image issues.

info about AUTO ISO from your manual.
d5200 auto iso.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back