Photos as gifts

cathmc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are the best gifts you've made out of pictures you've taken?
I have two:
1. For a wedding gift, I had happened to get nice candids of both the bride and the groom while each of their dads was giving a toast. Put those in frames, and another double frame with a nice portrait of both of them, plus a good shot of a famous landmark of the place they were married. They really seemed to like it.

2. For friends who had bought and were redecorating a beachhouse, I made a print of a shot of their toddler son and his older cousin walking up the path to the beach entrance. It wasn't a perfect photo - there was some construction debris I couldn't crop out - but it was nice, and nicely matted and framed. It is nicely displayed in the guest bedroom with other beach kid shots.

I really like gifts like this that show a personal touch.
(Oh and sorry I don't have these photos handy to post. The wedding ones were on film, even!)

My parents are avid gardeners - they spend the majority of the spring, summer, and fall working in their gardens.

Their passion and hard work make for some great photo subjects - I will often spend a few hours shooting in their yards.

This past Christmas, I gave my mother a Bombay Photo Cube with five of some of the best macro photos from their gardens last year, and a few extra photos cropped and cut inside the cube.

a friend of mine has just moved into a new house and i was thinking of giving him a blown up version of a photograph i took that he told me he liked. But i am reluctant to give my photos as gifts because i would worry that they would only say they liked it as to not offend me. and then they may feel obliged to hang it up on the wall every time i visit. So unless they specifically ask or drop big hints i don't usually offer them as gifts, then i have no problem

I made a card with one of my photographs on for mothers day. It wasn't the present though. Just the card.

JohnMF said:
a friend of mine has just moved into a new house and i was thinking of giving him a blown up version of a photograph i took that he told me he liked. But i am reluctant to give my photos as gifts because i would worry that they would only say they liked it as to not offend me. and then they may feel obliged to hang it up on the wall every time i visit. So unless they specifically ask or drop big hints i don't usually offer them as gifts, then i have no problem
Well, I think you should give him the pic. After all, any gift you give him he could not like, yet feel obligated to display/use/whatever. At least with a pic it's something personal...and in this case he already said he liked it, no?
Just my unsolicited two cents :)

Last year for Xmas I made the grandparents hard bound, coffee table style books filled with photos of the kids. In past years it's been albums filled with hand printed 8x10 gelatin silver prints.

If you don't want your friend or family to feel obligated to hang your photos, give them a photo book. I've seen services offering $10 softcover photobooks, and of course you can get a lot fancier than that. They don't have to hang it and look at it everyday, but can still enjoy your photography when they choose to.

I gave some photo gifts that I had made at www.rainbowpix.co.uk the best ones were a Canvas print of my dads sail boat and some mugs with pictures of some past events. The photo gifts were better than some of the more expensive presents that I gave as they were more personal and unique.

I may get some personalised underware made for a laugh for my other half ;) as rainbowpix do a Photo Gstring :lovey: lol

i made my friend show me which picture she liked best again after she mention one and after she picked i told her thanks i was using her choice to hang on my wall, she was ticked, but very happy to get a big copy for her bday && realized i was kidding.

i also made a slide show for my momma with all the pictures ive taken of my sisters, me & my husband for christmas. she cried so im assuming thats a thumbs up.

For this Xmas, instead of getting my mom the same old gift card, I got her a picture of my brother and I in a nice black frame. I did the same for my grandmother. It was almost as much as the gift card but it's nice to mix it up.

One year I gave my brother-in-law a picture of his daughter. I had taken a picture of a flower and put her face in the middle, similar to this one I did of my daughter:
mady_flower.jpg

I am most proud of one of the first I came up with. This was a gift for the Godparents of my daughter that I gave them following her Baptism.

Godparent.jpg

I have since made my photography more a part of gifts for parents and family. This year, I made a photobook for my wife (from Mpix...great product) with about 50 of my favorite images of my daughter. We also got each of our parents one of those digital photo frames and used a pile of images of my daughter to keep them in stock of current and past images. The photo frame is a great idea, but I was almost embarassed to give it b/c of it's really crappy image quality and odd ball crop size. The nice frames are way out of line in terms of price, and the affordable ones are really just junk. I've also given a few for Mother's day and Father's day framed prints for our parents. I think the images we chose though had a lot to do with the emotion they expressed. I think the quality was really quite good, but it had a lot of meaning as well and that is what makes the picture for the person.

I'm suprised at how few pics there are of funerals. I've started taking photoes at the grave site and NO i do not charge for these. I mail them free to family and then who else wants them; also free. I geuss i am surprised that i have nothing but good responces.

Last week I mailed out over 25 requsted free pics from 1 funeral earlier that week.

I guess that would be my favorite.

I have given pictures and, cards with my pics, for years. People tell me they like getting them. Im thinking I will do a hard table book next year.

my family asks for framed work as gifts this xmas i got creative and gave my rents a nice digital frame with around 100 pre-loaded pictures

had one made into a puzzle, it was a big hit.

Most reactions

Back