Photos for my job?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there:

So my place of employment recently mentioned that they needed photography for the staff done and referenced a photographer they know.

Being a photographer myself, I mentioned that I could also take them and they loved that idea.

But they were wondering if they should hire me for my photography business (i.e. pay for the photography as if they were my client) or if I'd just do it as part of my job?

I'm thinking I should just do it as part of my job (brownie points are awesome), but would like to hear others' thoughts.

Thanks!

have them hire your business.

it's work otuside your normal duties that you should be compensated with more than a pat on the back.

have them hire your business.

it's work otuside your normal duties that you should be compensated with more than a pat on the back.

This

Some companies have it written into employees contract that if you do work outside your job you need their permission, have you checked your contract, personally I wouldn't do it

Yeah, I've had a contract like that before. That hasn't come up in this job. They're a bit more laid back about it.

But when I was interviewing I did mention I had creative skills (like photography) which may have been part of what got me the job...

If I'm being honest, I'd probably just do it as part of my job, to endear myself to them (which tends to have wildly varying outcomes, anyway).

On the other hand, as long as I'm being honest--if I had to support myself on what I make from photography, I'd be living under a bridge, bumming Mickey D gift certificates from passers-by so I could get a burger. Or some fries. Probably just the fries, since it IS Mickey Ds. :D
Seriously, I'd be doing good just to buy a new flash on what I've made from photo shoots. Doing it for free, at least I don't have to worry about whether they got what they paid for.

Personally, I wouldn't do it at all. Any issue that arises from this job could breed resentments that would carry over into your regular work environment.

When push comes to shove your employer will cast you aside like a waded up piece of scrap paper, regardless how brown your nose is.

So my place of employment recently mentioned that they needed photography for the staff done and referenced a photographer they know.
I would offer to help vet the photographer, and only if his work totally sucked, would I have offered my services. Seriously consider his portfolio, and honestly compare it with your own. If you can't do any better, don't get in the way. Also; he is probably trying to support himself and perhaps a family, so why take bread out of his mouth?

If this was years ago when old guys like me were working in the same company for 33 years I would have said do it without question. Doing extra work and demonstrating personal worth used to be more worthwhile than it is now.
Now, I'd say do it for the money or, unless your company has photographer jobs you'd be auditioning for, don't do it.

I did this for my place of employment. I only had to do portraits for about 30 people. Nothing really came of it other than a pat on the back for a few weeks. I was however, eventually pulled into the office and given a spontaneous bonus.....a very nice one. I was then more formally thanked for going above and beyond.

I would have them hire you through your photo business. It's great to bank points with the boss, but my experience is that you'll never get to collect on them. People will use you until they don't need you, then it's back to status quo. You doing them a favour would soon be forgotten. You can give them a break on the fees if you want, but you need to draw a line in the sand, otherwise they will keep coming back for free.

I've done photography for a couple companies that I've worked for.

The first one, I did a small product shoot 'on the clock', mostly to see if I could pull it off and and get usable shots. We agreed that the next time it came up, they would hire my company, which they did.

When I switched jobs, I specifically mentioned my photography skills as an asset. And while I don't have a specific contract that would define my duties, I do photo shoots for them without having to hire my company. They pay me well enough and it gets me away from my desk.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back