Photos from CD to print

AdamSmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to understand what sizes are right for getting images that made up in Paint Shop Pro, resulotion of 72 ppi, printed off at 6" x 4"

I don't understand much but when I increase the print width to 6 inches and 72 ppi then the width in pixels changes to 432, is this the right size? Is 72 pixels per inch good for printing off at snappy snaps?

But that's massive. Makes it 1800x1200 pixels and I printed off 600x400 pixels before fine. I just need to know the minimum because there's no way I can get the photos I want onto 600 x 400 canvas and make it look good...

72 PPI is the standard for viewing on a monitor. 300 PPI is standard for printing. So if you want a 4x6 print...the file should be 1200x1800 pixels. You can print with a smaller file...but the smaller the file, the worse the print will look.

Abd 1200x1800 isn't what I would consider masive. My camera's files are 2336 x 3504.

Don't resample the image when you change the ppi.

Don't resample the image when you change the ppi.

What does that mean? I am a total n00b

Anyway...1200x1800 is massive when making images for me. It's not from being taken on a digital camera. I am in to football autograph collecting and I like to see what I can do in Paint Shop Pro to get a good photo for players to sign. I get the images from www.cpfc.co.uk I want to make photos that will print in 6x4 but the original image is too small (300x250 px) I know 600x400 works quite well. I can scan an image in that I made 600x400 pixels and got printed off, 6x4

Anyway, I need to get them printed off with as less border around the image as possible...so 600x400 pixels for my 300x250 pixel images will look crap...

this argument goes round and round forever.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2305.html

There is a chart here for how much you need to make adequate print images. However I have been told by a photo lab that it is a little generous. It the image is sharp and with enough detail that images up to 5x7 can be made from a 1600 by 1000 at 100 file can be made. A photo cd from the drug store is about that.

I personally have images of 5x7 made from files as small as 1200 x 800 at 150 dpi made from my scanned negs. They had been edited and they looked fine. Let me suggest this. Take the file you have at whatever size and resolution you have. go to a photo kiosk and make a print and see if it is acceptable to you. If it isn't, increase the pixel count until it is. It is 30 cents well spent.

It seems you are starting with a very small image file to begin with that may be more your problem than anything else. I should add that my prints are made at a lab using a nortizu printer and scanner and other printers may not perform as well with smaller files. I have been told that and the article given mentions that all printers are not the same.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back