Photos from manhattan for CC please!

Everyone has an idea of what's a snapshot and a photo. If I find a photo that I want to print larger than 5x7 and frame, then it's a photo. If I never plan to take it anywhere but the web or only make a 4x6 print, then it's a snapshot.
Maybe I am wrong and you plan to hang these. But...just because a picture is in focus and looks well composed, doesn't make it a "photo". If that was the case, then my walls would be full.

I think #2 is my favorite of the bunch, with a few nitpicks. I find the purse/lady on the right to be distracting, and am kinda wishing the feet wouldn't have been cut off on the lady walking by. It's kind of a weird cut, very close to the ankle, and probably could have been framed a bit better.

Something I would give a whirl there is, doing some shots of a stationary subject, with a longer shutter getting motion behind it. For example, a mailbox with stickers and graffiti all over it at twilight, with a street (and moving cars) behind it. Maybe even large groups of people just passing by.

Mrs.Little: This doesn't just pertain to my photos in this thread but I have an overall question to ask, not just you but anyone else, What is the big difference between a "photo" and a "snapshot"? From my understanding photos are well thought out, composed, and appealing while snapshots are "vacation shots" that tourists take and such. Is this right? I know there must be more to it. If I am correct, then why are my photos snap shots? Are they not composed correctly? Does it look like I did not put thought into my subject matter? Did I use the correct settings or do they look like I just clicked the shutter without glancing and what I was using? Sorry to ask all these questions to all of you, but I really want to know how to make my photos better.
Bazooka: Thanks. I was walking behind my brother and father when I took the shot. I saw that the light looked interesting so I wanted to see how it would come out. I was pleasantly surprised with what the light did (exactly what you stated), but by the time I went to try to take a properly composed photo they were walking ahead, and the sun was blocked by buildings. But yeah, as I go farther into understanding photography I see that it is really almost all about the light. Taking a photo of something on a dark gloomy day and then taking it on a bright sunny day makes such a difference. Not only does it look different (from my experience) but the mood or message of the photo differs intensely.

Also I cloned out the distracting flag in 3.
Before:

DSC_0106 by Ethang13, on Flickr

After the cloning:

DSC_0106 (2) by Ethang13, on Flickr

Does it look obviously cloned? Thanks,
Ethan

Hi Ethan

On my screen the cloning looks good :thumbup:

I think #2 is my favorite of the bunch, with a few nitpicks. I find the purse/lady on the right to be distracting, and am kinda wishing the feet wouldn't have been cut off on the lady walking by. It's kind of a weird cut, very close to the ankle, and probably could have been framed a bit better.

Something I would give a whirl there is, doing some shots of a stationary subject, with a longer shutter getting motion behind it. For example, a mailbox with stickers and graffiti all over it at twilight, with a street (and moving cars) behind it. Maybe even large groups of people just passing by.

I like Dominantly's ideas for your next shoot :thumbup:

Dominatnly and phototish: Yea I really like that idea too. Thanks so much for it, unfortunately i don't live in the city and I'm a teenager (14) so I can't drive into the city. Also whenever I do have the chance to go in, I can't expect my parents and siblings to sit around for 20 minutes in the same place while I try to get photos :p . I also don't have a tripod or a filter (I imagine for a long exposure like that during the day I would either need to use a aperture that would cause defraction or I would need a filter to block some light to prevent over exposure.) Thanks so much for the idea though. Also thanks for the comment on the cloning phototish.
Mrslittle and whoever else is reading: So what does a photo need to be printable worthy? I like these photos but not enough that I would print and hang, although I have only printed one image and it is because I need art for my room and I thought it was a nice photo of the beach, but it is definitely not my favorite work

Dominatnly and phototish: Yea I really like that idea too. Thanks so much for it, unfortunately i don't live in the city and I'm a teenager (14) so I can't drive into the city. Also whenever I do have the chance to go in, I can't expect my parents and siblings to sit around for 20 minutes in the same place while I try to get photos :p . I also don't have a tripod or a filter (I imagine for a long exposure like that during the day I would either need to use a aperture that would cause defraction or I would need a filter to block some light to prevent over exposure.) Thanks so much for the idea though. Also thanks for the comment on the cloning phototish.
Mrslittle and whoever else is reading: So what does a photo need to be printable worthy? I like these photos but not enough that I would print and hang, although I have only printed one image and it is because I need art for my room and I thought it was a nice photo of the beach, but it is definitely not my favorite work

I am was really trying to be polite by giving you a complement in my first post, and you just seem to keep dwelling on the "snapshot" comment. It was my opinion and you obviously don't agree, so why not drop it then?!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...to-gallery/215606-snapshot-vs-photograph.html

Hi Ethan. Lucky you to have started photography at 14 - you have plenty of time to learn and progress if you stick with it - which I hope you do.

AgentDrex asked a similar question re snapshot -v- photograph - I have put the link here for you if you are interested to read what other folks thought.

When I was painting I used to leave work on the easel so I could see it at different times, in different lights, from different angles. It is a good way to spot what you did right or what you did wrong and what you would change. You can do that with photography too. Print a couple you like and then add more as you progress, it is a good way to see whether your photography is improving and what you would change next time you take a similar photo.

Last edited:
Mrs.Little: Sorry I didn't mean to sound rude. I was just curious about what people consider snapshots and photo's. I wasn't so much dwelling on the comments of my photos as the concepts. Thanks for your responses.
Phototish: thanks for the link and advice.

So (people who haven't commented on what they thought already) Do these look like thought out photos or quick snapshots?

You can see the building in the cloned photo doesnt have a straight wall anymore. But I probably wouldn't have noticed it unless I looked there specifically.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back