Photos from the stage show

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay the full dress rehersal went really well i got about 300 photos, I think the photos actually came out better than i expected. I didnt expect much with the gear I have, I used the 75-3oo lens for these.
I was shooting with the flash and had a ISO of 800 for most of them. with and F number of 4.5 or 5.6.
I was quite happy they way they came out, im shooting more on Monday (all the posed group photos etc) so any comments on how these came out, and what to change or do differently would be much appreciated :D

b4x0sh.jpg

e699o4.jpg

oqzn11.jpg

xfqa2h.jpg

This last one was actually taken backstage :D

Man my computer is uploading these sooo slowly! more coming. I couldnt really get big group ones as a had the big lens on - but ill put the little lens on for mondays group photos. but what do you think of these so far?

:thumbdown: Good work. :)

The thumbs down somewhat contradicts your comment :lol:

Eventer, good job on the shots the lighting looks decent for what you had available.

What is with the guy's hair on the second shot?

Haha! I never noticed the thumbs down! Niiice.

Yeah the lighting wasnt too bad. I thought they had all come out horrible but they looked alot better once I put them on the computer.
Ha! oh yeah the people have crazy hair at our school! (Its been bleached and dyed pink at the top and blue down the bottom!)

Does anyone get annoyed when people say " F number " ? I know it is a number but its more commonly known as an F/Stop

How close can you get to the stage? With what focal length did you shoot these (can't see EXIF info)?

If you could get in closer to the action maybe shooting at around 100-150mm you might get more light to the sensor. I think the ISO 800 is the max without provoking too much noise. But since you can't open your lens any further you might want to try to get in closer and zoom out to let more light in.

That could help getting faster shutter speeds. All the stage images appear soft but that could be camera shake (hand held/long exposure times), no tripod, subject moving (despite tripod but long exposure time), small aperture (lens is soft at f/5.6) or cheap lens.

Try to eliminate all factors that lead to soft images to get the best out of your gear.

I was thinking similar to creisinger. The exif is 1/125 and the focal lengths are 210, 150 and 160mm for the stage shots. Were these hand held?

Flash helps to freeze the subject, but not always at that disctance, and doesn't always elminate camera shake, assuimg that's what is causing a little bit of softness.

With that said, these loook like tough conditions, so I would be happy with what you have. The first two are slightly hot, so you could maybe get away with a tad more shutter speed.

Thanks everyone, well I was standing about 20m-ish (I have no idea actually) back from the stage, I didnt want to get in the way of people - There were lightning people, and producers etc there.
Yeap i tried a ISO of 1600 and it came out pretty noisy, your right 800 is pretty much the max.
Yeah these were hand held - i only have a miniature flexi tripod.
So do you guys think my settings were ok? I really had NO clue what to do so I just played around till i got somthing semi allright.
Tommorow Ive got more photos to do, should I bring my little lens (18-70) for the group shots so I can get within flash range? im a little paranoid about changes lenses around at school. I hate doing it at the best of times! haha

These photo havent really been edited at all as i dont no how to edit them? I know most of them cam out a bit "warm" and should i edit the people out in the background? I did in the top one, there was somone in the backgrounnd by his shoulder which was a little distracting.

Being so far away the shots turned out quite well I'd say.

New especially when shooting from such a far distance, you NEED a tripod. Such a long focal lengths mixed with hand-held is going to be tough.

Did you downsize the images that you posted here from the full resolution? That's very likely and that means that the shots are quite blurry in full resolution and you can avoid that with a tripod. You will see a big difference using a tripod.

If you cannot use or get a tripod on time for the next shoot. Try to find a spot that allows you to rest the camera on something like a wall or an object that is quite heave and doesn't move too much. That will already help you stabilize the camera.

Also shoot in RAW so you don't have to worry about White Balance for now and you can easily fix it in Post Processing.

Take your wide angle zoom with you to the shoot. You don't have to switch them all the time. Shoot the show with the tele zoom and after that go backstage and use the wide angle for group shots with flash.

I really need to buy a decent tripod, i could perhaps sit my mini tripod on a table? but then i dunno if id be able to due to tommorow when i shoot (Was ment to be shooting it today but too sick :( ) The place will be filled with an audiance as its the Matinee performance.
I THINK they wernt resized... Maybe the 3rd one down was by memory.

okay for the group shoots how can avoid the whole "red-eye" thing, i put the red-eye reduction on but it doesnt always help, Would I just have to edit them afterwards?

Most reactions

Back