Photos From Today

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
UPDATE: #2 has been redone and posted lower on the page. I don't know what the hell I was thinking with that first crop!
#3 has been cropped and posted as well. Both are improvements :)
#1 has now been overhauled in PP to take care of the nasty highlights. What do you think of the progress?

Well I set out this morning to have a great day of taking photos, unfortunately, while it did turn up better towards the end, today turned out not to be too great of a day. Beautiful weather, but hardly any wildlife out! What was out was not too keen on having its photo taken. So here is what I came up with by the end of the day. Any CC is greatly appreciated, I know these need it, I can't help but feel a little let down with them.

1. This was the pinnacle of my desperation today...ladybugs. More of a snapshot IMO, and I'm not a fan of the reflection off its shell or the brightness of the plant's cuticle. What do you think?

IMG_2149-2 by TogaLive, on Flickr

2. A crop. I just couldn't get close enough without it getting spooked and flying off. I tried bumping the SS up to 3200 but I still couldn't freeze those damn wings! I like it better than #1, but I think it might need a wider crop. What are your thoughts?

IMG_2153-2 by TogaLive, on Flickr

3. Probably my favorite of the day, though thats not saying much today. I was as close as I could get with the 55-250 for it to focus, but I do like that beautiful blue of the neck scales. Also, I think the eye didn't come out too bad, though its not like the turtle eye from last week. The DOF is decent IMO, but a bit more might have brought his body into focus. For whatever reason, I didn't mind all the negative space in this one so much as I usually wood.

IMG_2158-2 by TogaLive, on Flickr
What are your thoughts TPF? Again, any CC you have is really appreciated. After last weeks shots I felt like somehow I missed the bus this week, and I'd like to have some things to keep in mind for next time ;)

Thanks!
Toga

Last edited:
Hey Toga :)
I think you are spot on with your own C&C. Light looks harsh in #1 but I like the composition. #2 def needs more room. As it is the little guy is lost. Since you didn't freeze his wings (but darn close !) I think your second option to accentuate is his size perhaps?
#3 I can't wait to see :)

Ooooo 3 is nice! I like the DOF and your focus is great. Too much background perhaps? Would live to see a closer crop :)

I love 2 maybe a faster speed to freeze the wings. But great shots

Nice! Much better on both :)

Hey Austin,

How's this? Did a ladybug for Lightspeed, one time! Not hard to do.. the little guys do get some glare going!
6804532282_915fddb777_b.jpg

I think the second crops are much better. I don't see that your day was such a loss at all. The lizard is a great shot and the fact that the Humming Bird's wings aren't frozen is what imparts a sense of motion to the shot. I feel it would have been less of a shot if the wings had been frozen.

I think the second crops are much better. I don't see that your day was such a loss at all. The lizard is a great shot and the fact that the Humming Bird's wings aren't frozen is what imparts a sense of motion to the shot. I feel it would have been less of a shot if the wings had been frozen.

Hmm, maybe you right :) I had not yet thought about the hummingbird like that, but you make a lot of sense. I guess I was just a bit (more like a lot) focused on getting those wings frozen and was a bit disappointed that I didn't achieve the goal. Thanks for making me look at them in a new way ;)

Hey Austin,

How's this? Did a ladybug for Lightspeed, one time! Not hard to do.. the little guys do get some glare going!

YOU SAVED MAH LADYBUG :D :hug::

You mind me asking what you did? Just cloned it out?

Yea.. just a quick clone.. I started to do the leaf highlights too, but they are a lost cause without more time put into it!

You are quite welcome :)
The ladybug edit looks good guys. The highlights on the tip of the leaf seem to compete for attention even more now somehow?

Most reactions

Back