Photos taken with the Microsoft Lumia 640 and slight review

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last week I decided to pick up the new Lumia 640, yes its a Windows Phone and for $99 I quite like it. I don't need a super expensive phone to do what I want to do. This one does it all and every time I take pictures I keep getting impressed and more impressed. The 8mp camera is actually pretty decent. Sure in low light it struggles, but I hardly use my phone for taking pictures in low light unless I'm in a restaurant and even then I probably could get away with it.

Anyways, here is a photo of a toad I took this weekend and let me tell you this toad was small, probably 3/4" to 1" long. He was tiny.

WP_20150809_16_02_25_Pro.jpg

I had the Nokia Lumia 635 that had a 5MP camera and it was just terrible and I just wanted a better phone with a better camera to take some shots for Instagram or Facebook when I don't have my DSLR with me. I think it will work out fine.

Just to give you an idea how bad the Lumia 635's camera was:

WP_20140701_003.jpg

And here is the same shot but taken with the Lumia 640.

WP_20150806_19_13_07_Pro - Copy.jpg

The Lumia 635 always struggled with white balance. But the 640 handles it quite well.

Here is close up/macro shot of a Zinnia I took using the Lumia 640 and the built in LED flash. Again, the Lumia 640 handles the white balance very well even with the flash.

WP_20150806_19_11_55_Pro - Copy.jpg

Overall, I am quite happy with this phone and the price being $99 is a win. The phone it self performs very well, nice HD screen, feels great. Quad core CPU, 1 gig of ram. Maybe not everyone will agree, I quite like the Windows phone OS, can't wait for Windows Phone 10 come out, it only make the experience even better.

If you're on the fence about getting one of these, I say go for it. I really wanted the XL version because it has a 13mp Carl Zeiss and there is totally a difference between the pictures. But I felt the 5.7" screen of the 640XL was too big for me. The 5" of the 640 is perfect.

The only thing I need to do is buy a bigger memory card. I forgot to order one when I bought the phone. Oh well. Amazon Prime FTW.

I'll plan on sharing some more photos eventually, I haven't even had the phone for a week, so give me some time to make a full review.

Last edited:
That's quite impressive. The difference between the 635 and 640 is stark. Thanks for the review.

Thanks!

Here's a quick video I made of the video quality. The videos were unedited, straight out of camera besides cutting and adding transition effects.

The video quality isn't all that great. Its better than the 635 by miles. But for a $99 smartphone, I say its pretty good.

This was all recorded in my backyard, it was just something I put together quickly. Going to work on another one with different subjects.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back