Photoshoot and Birthday Party coming up!

cnick975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot with a canon t4i and for now only have the 18-135mm STM lens. Okay I have a photoshoot next week for a local DJ. He just wants some portrait shots of himself for his new website... Few questions.
  1. How much should I charge?
  2. What equipment should I purchase that will be essential and useful to get the shots he wants?
  3. What is the best way to approach this?
  4. Any tips?
Now the birthday party is in August so I have some more time to prepare and get some equipment that will be useful. Can you guys point me in the direction as to what equipment I might need to shoot birthday parties... Lenses, Flashes, Lighting, etc. Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks.

What you have now is enough for portraits, but I'd recommend adding a flash. I wouldn't recommend serving clients until you master the fundamentals. You can certainly offer cheap or free services to build your experience and portfolio, but for now just get some money for your time. Invest in education.

A flash will be added to my list, anything you recommend Canon wise? You are absolutely right for now I am doing the shoot for the DJ very cheap just to build my portfolio and the birthday party is for family so it is basically a good time for me to practice. Also I am planning on taking some photography classes at my local college as I am a full time student so I need some electives anyways.

"Can you guys point me in the direction as to what equipment I might need to shoot birthday parties."

You can shoot a birthday party with a point and shoot if you want.

Is it inside? Outside? Day? Night? Group? Small? Throwing out a question like that is like "what lens should I buy for weddings?", like there's a magical answer.

"Can you guys point me in the direction as to what equipment I might need to shoot birthday parties."

You can shoot a birthday party with a point and shoot if you want.

Is it inside? Outside? Day? Night? Group? Small? Throwing out a question like that is like "what lens should I buy for weddings?", like there's a magical answer.

It is a quince, so it will be inside of a banquet hall with around 200 people

I shoot with a canon t4i and for now only have the 18-135mm STM lens. Okay I have a photoshoot next week for a local DJ. He just wants some portrait shots of himself for his new website... Few questions.
  1. How much should I charge?
  2. What equipment should I purchase that will be essential and useful to get the shots he wants?
  3. What is the best way to approach this?
  4. Any tips?
Now the birthday party is in August so I have some more time to prepare and get some equipment that will be useful. Can you guys point me in the direction as to what equipment I might need to shoot birthday parties... Lenses, Flashes, Lighting, etc. Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks.
Yes, one. Pass on the paying clients until you have learned some basic skills and can successfully discharge a commission. A 'simple portrait' is often not simple. Lighting can be complicated, posing is an art NOT learned overnight...

A flash will be added to my list, anything you recommend Canon wise? You are absolutely right for now I am doing the shoot for the DJ very cheap just to build my portfolio and the birthday party is for family so it is basically a good time for me to practice. Also I am planning on taking some photography classes at my local college as I am a full time student so I need some electives anyways.

Canon Speedlite 430EX or EX II works great. I am using a combo of thoses plus a 580EX II for an upcoming wedding but you definitely want a speedlite. The 18-135 is a great range but may not allow enough light indoors depending on the lighting provided.

As for charging. I charge very cheap as I am still building my portfolio but I don't offer free unless it is my friends or family because time = money no matter who you are. I don't go to work for free even when I am training so why is this any different? I just would be realistic when you price yourself and make sure your 'client' knows what experience level you are and what is expected. If his expectations exceed your skill then that is when I personally would pass.

Canon Speedlite 430EX or EX II works great. I am using a combo of thoses plus a 580EX II for an upcoming wedding but you definitely want a speedlite. The 18-135 is a great range but may not allow enough light indoors depending on the lighting provided.

As for charging. I charge very cheap as I am still building my portfolio but I don't offer free unless it is my friends or family because time = money no matter who you are. I don't go to work for free even when I am training so why is this any different? I just would be realistic when you price yourself and make sure your 'client' knows what experience level you are and what is expected. If his expectations exceed your skill then that is when I personally would pass.

Thank you, I will be purchasing a Canon Speedlite 430EX II as my next accessory. As for charging that is the same way I feel about it. Like you said time = money and as long as the client knows what experience level I am at and I can meet their expectations all is well. I hope to progress much more as a photographer but in due time. Photography for me is a hobby that I really enjoy and want to grow with. Thanks

Thank you, I will be purchasing a Canon Speedlite 430EX II as my next accessory. As for charging that is the same way I feel about it. Like you said time = money and as long as the client knows what experience level I am at and I can meet their expectations all is well. I hope to progress much more as a photographer but in due time. Photography for me is a hobby that I really enjoy and want to grow with. Thanks

Time = money, on the condition that you know how to use your time to the best of your ability and are knowledgeable to the point where you're not asking which lens to rent/buy or for general tips. I am in the same boat as John when I think you should do this pro-bono (so to speak) and use this as a learning experience/portfolio building exercise.

in most jobs where you are paid for training, like an internship, there is a master level professional present to make sure the job is done to a professional level.
IE: stylist school. yes, they are paid while they learn to cut hair...BUT there is an actual experienced stylist there at all times to make sure things are done right.
if this is the case with the OP's gig, then I agree with you. Otherwise, like any other job, you should wait until you can deliver a consistent professional quality product and have the necessary equipment to do so before charging for services.

Obviously there isnt much point in anyone telling someone to turn down a paying gig, because I think we all know that isn't likely to happen....however, I will say that If you don't know what the "necessary" equipment is for a particular job, then you probably don't have it, or the experience needed to use it effectively.

as for equipment....its hard to say without knowing the exact venue location, or better yet, being able to see it myself. indoors is hit or miss when it comes to lighting. the best i could recommend is at least a semi-wide angle fast zoom and a fast mid-tele zoom. (by fast i mean f/2.8)
a few primes wouldn't hurt either in case you need something better in low light.
2-3 flashes with stands and diffusers that you can set up for portraits.
a good tripod.

I appreciate all the honesty in your replies, I have a lot of money to spend both on equipment and education lol. Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back