Photoshoot in Detroit, MI... Using D300 & Nikon 50mm 1.8D with single Nikon SB-700

valonphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
About Me (skip if you don't care) ;)
Hey there my fellow photographers and enthusiast. So I'm going to dive right into this, My name is Valon and im 23 years old based out of Detroit, Mi. Ive been a photography enthusiast for as long as I can remember, but there was always something holding me back from actually picking up that camera and getting my behind out there. But now the times come to follow my passion! Ive attached a photo below from yesterdays shoot I had with a wonderful local model and actress.

Gear Used
This was shot using my D300 and a nikon 50mm 1.8D, I know I know the rule of thumb typically is not to shoot portraits of women with a 50mm due to distortion of the face, but check it out, worked great for me! :thumbup:

Location & Lighting
The shoot took place at a building that was under construction that a good friend of mine owns, I found a really nice brick wall that had plenty of great natural lighting beeming through the windows. I placed my subject to the left of the window about 6 feet away from the wall. I then used a Nikon SB-700 with a white umbrella that I shot through to soften my flash so it would blend in nicely with the natural light.
Retouching
Also the retouching was done by yours truly, and yes it was my first time ever using photoshop. Thank God for youtube tutorials! I used lightroom 3 and photoshop cs6.

Bottom Line
So Peeps, let me know what you think... This was my first shoot and I would love some feedback! What do you like about the final shot? And mainly what do you dislike? What do you see that needs improvement? Hows the retouching? All and any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Valon...

Attachments

• $amandashawl.jpg
    $amandashawl.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 328
Last edited:
valonphoto said:
About Me (skip if you don't care) ;)
Hey there my fellow photographers and enthusiast. So I'm going to dive right into this, My name is Valon and im 23 years old based out of Detroit, Mi. Ive been a photography enthusiast for as long as I can remember, but there was always something holding me back from actually picking up that camera and getting my behind out there. But now the times come to follow my passion! Ive attached a photo below from yesterdays shoot I had with a wonderful local model and actress.

Gear Used
This was shot using my D300 and a nikon 50mm 1.8D, I know I know the rule of thumb typically is not to shoot portraits of women with a 50mm due to distortion of the face, but check it out, worked great for me! :thumbup:

Location & Lighting
The shoot took place at a building that was under construction that a good friend of mine owns, I found a really nice brick wall that had plenty of great natural lighting beeming through the windows. I placed my subject to the left of the window about 6 feet away from the wall. I then used a Nikon SB-700 with a white umbrella that I shot through to soften my flash so it would blend in nicely with the natural light.
Retouching
Also the retouching was done by yours truly, and yes it was my first time ever using photoshop. Thank God for youtube tutorials! I used lightroom 3 and photoshop cs6.

Bottom Line
So Peeps, let me know what you think... This was my first shoot and I would love some feedback! What do you like about the final shot? And mainly what do you dislike? What do you see that needs improvement? Hows the retouching? All and any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Valon...

Looks perfect to me...

the small thumbnail looks fine, but something is up when I click to enlarge, and the skin looks garishly orange.

nice, what tutorial did you follow?

the small thumbnail looks fine, but something is up when I click to enlarge, and the skin looks garishly orange.

Same here. Overall I think its a great portrait. The lighting is spot on for me. Thank you for posting.

when i clicked on the image, it was oversaturated. A little to much orange going on. other than that everything is spot on. Desaturate it and it'd be perfecto. also whats the little red dots right in the middle of her eyes?

Last edited:
Beautiful shot and model. Why horizontal - just curious!

this is gorgeous. she is so beautiful. good work

Why horizontal - just curious!

Some people think that holding the camera "sideways" will affect the shutter speed. Or the batteries will leak out. Or the tripod will not fit.

Maybe he just wanted to show more wall.

Some people think that holding the camera "sideways" will affect the shutter speed. Or the batteries will leak out. Or the tripod will not fit.

Honestly the biggest reason why people shoot that way is that their camera isn't gripped and it's easier to hold that way. My experience with new-ish shooters at least.

Honestly the biggest reason why people shoot that way is that their camera isn't gripped and it's easier to hold that way. My experience with new-ish shooters at least.

O.K., I'll give you that a certain level of confidence against dropping the camera might have something to do with it, but if someone is going to routinely hold a camera in landscape format, then perhaps they should frame extra wide so they can crop to portrait later.

Meanwhile, most of the landscape portraits are simply grist for the mill.

Next time less explanation and more pics. The pic is pretty decent by the way.

Most reactions

Back