Photoshoot locations

truephotoga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.truephotoga.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering what other photographer's do that do not have their own space or studio to shoot in for portrait sessions? I could rent space, but that eats into cost, and I could shoot outdoors, but here in GA the summer heat is terrible. Thanks.

Shoot outdoors in the early morning or in the evening. Still hot, sometimes muggy, but better than middle of the day, and better lighting anyway.

Or find some indoor locations--like a hotel lobby--that would work and see if the owner/management will allow you to do some sessions there.

I live in East TN, so I understand about the heat. I actually love it, but I realize most people don't, and it also makes for very quick photo sessions before everyone is drenched in sweat.

Sometimes the client has a strong feeling about a hobby or a location that they would like. Perhaps a favorite park or their boat or even a work or school location.
It doesn't hurt to ask them and ask it like it's a favor you're doing them to make the session special for them - don't apologize for not having a studio right off the bat.......

As soon as I moved here to Iowa I kept my eyes open for outdoor shooting locations whenever I was out and about.
I often made sure I used routes I had not yet used before, or scheduled time just to location scout.
I made notes on what time of day, and what time of year I thought each location would work best.

It's coolest in the mornings, and there is usually less wind. Dew that formed overnight can be a problem and as that dew evaporates the humidity goes up.

By morning I mean the hour before sunrise to no more than 2 hours after sunrise.
Here in Iowa this time of year that is 5 AM to 8 AM.
You need to be on location no later than 4:30 AM to be ready to start shooting at 5.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great replies!!
No offense Keith, but I'm not sure how well telling people to meet me somewhere at 5AM will work :) I am not a morning person myself, so shooting later in the evening is a better option for me. Thanks again!!

I understand the sentiment, however the successful businessman caters to the needs of the business rather than the business catering to the wants of the businessman.

When I first got started three of us went together on a studio. One guy had lots of space but no equipment. Another had lots of props etc and me, I had lighting.

Actually with you being in Georgia. Check out spots2shot.com is a site I help my friend run. We find locations to shoot at. A ton of abandoned places.

Feel free to call if you want anytime. I live in Grayson. Pm me for my number.

Go on more photo walks. Make your own places to shoot that no one else uses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back