Photoshoot with police troubles

dragsternj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

Had to shoot a hospital facade for a clients brochure. case study. i didn't think much about it went there took some pics from across the street than entered the premises and took another 2 or 3. Security guard comes out tells me that i can not take pictures and i have to delete them. I told him i won't, he called the cops blocked my car until the cops arrived. Long story short they verified that i was how they called it "legit" told me that hospitals are "soft targets" and that "in this day and age" one can not just take pics of everything. All in all no fun.

So if you have to shoot something like it, ask security for permission which you like will not get but it saves you the cops.

I kept the pics though. Anyone had run ins like it ?

Please refrain from doing this again. It gives us all a bad name. I'm not going to argue about what rights you have, but you have a responsibility to uphold decency in photographing subjects.

Was the Hospital your client ?
... and if so, did they give you permission to take pictures on/in the property ?

Please refrain from doing this again. It gives us all a bad name. I'm not going to argue about what rights you have, but you have a responsibility to uphold decency in photographing subjects.
Refrain from what? Accepting jobs? Taking pictures? Opposing the abuse of power that goes on every day?

It's illegal to film police officers in Chicago now. Funny how that law came about after 2 or 3 camera phone recordings of police brutality.

I'm guessing the OP was taking pictures of a facade his client installed, for the client's brochure? In which case the client should have called the hospital and told them what was up.

I was taking pictures of musical instruments in a local shop and got yelled at... I apologized profusely, and she calmed down and said that a rival music shop had taken pictures in her shop and used them in their advertising. I told her I understood and that my pictures were just for practice, and she allowed me to continue to take photos.

Understand that if someone was on your property taking detailed pictures of your house, you'd likely be offended. It's the security officer's job to be that person, as the property is not public.

I may be mistaken, but the OP doesn't seem to suggest that he was shooting for the hospital. No, you shouldn't walk in to hospitals if you aren't permitted to and start shooting.
Refrain from what? Accepting jobs? Taking pictures? Opposing the abuse of power that goes on every day?

Was the Hospital your client ?
... and if so, did they give you permission to take pictures on/in the property ?

I have taken both photos and video in hospitals that include staff without permission. I don't see a problem or issue in that.

skieur

I see no harm in it nor do i agree with anyone telling me I can't shoot anything in public. I can understand not wanting photography inside a building but outside, give me a break.

As far as photographing or video of police...I seriously wonder if they can enforce that!

secruity guard was being an asshole, cop had nothing else to do.

i take pictures of anything anywere and i have never been harrassed by anyone. not even mall cops

I don't believe HIPAA laws apply to walls and buildings, only people. The OP could have used better judgment and informed the hospital administration in advance, but as long as patients were not being photographed there is no HIPAA violation. Yes, if the hospital authorized the photographer, they would need to ensure patient privacy is being protected. People take pictures at hospitals every day.

confused . I was asked to take an outside shot of a hospital. no people . Can not see how that gives you a bad name.
most of the pics had been taken from across the street which is not even hospital property.

Outside isn't a problem....But you went inside to take pictures. It's a hospital. And it sounds like he wasn't authorized by the hospital, but by another client. So when someone walks in to a hospital to take pictures with a bunch of pro gear, they don't belong if they weren't invited. And yes, if the hospital is completely unaware of why you are there and you didn't get previous permission, they don't know WHAT you're taking photos of, and HIPPA laws apply because for all they know you're trying to snap photos of people inside.

Outside isn't a problem....But you went inside to take pictures. It's a hospital. And it sounds like he wasn't authorized by the hospital, but by another client. So when someone walks in to a hospital to take pictures with a bunch of pro gear, they don't belong if they weren't invited. And yes, if the hospital is completely unaware of why you are there and you didn't get previous permission, they don't know WHAT you're taking photos of, and HIPPA laws apply because for all they know you're trying to snap photos of people inside.

He was outside the hospital. not inside, there is nothing they could do. he was across the street...

A law doesn't apply to a person because another person or group assumes it does. And further more, using HIPAA laws to place blame on a photographer is a stretch.

According to this website, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, HIPAA laws apply only to covered entities.
For Covered Entities

That's like some one assuming that a photographer is a terrorist because they have a larger camera. That doesn't make them a terrorist. We all know how those cases turn out, right?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back