Photoshop CS2 help...PLEASE!!

Point-N-Shoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is something very wrong with my PSCS2. Photos view VERY washed out when opened in Photoshop CS2. I am having a hard time making adjustments to my pics because I have to save the file and then open it in ACDSee to see what the pic REALLY looks like.

Here is screen shot of a photo I took opened in PSCS2 and ACDSee (right)...
photoshop4.JPG

As you can clearly see, the PSCS2 photo is desaturated. This is NOT a problem with my camera...even stock photography that came with Adobe Lightroom comes out looking the same way...ALL photos do. Here is the profile I started with...
adobe_settings.JPG

I've tried changing the color profile and I've even hit Ctrl+Alt+Shift when opening PS (to reset back to the default settings)...nothing has worked.

Again...this is NOT just with pictures from my cameras...stock professional photographs look the exact same way. Could my software be corrupted?

I'm using Adobe PSCS2 (version 9.0.2) in Windows platform with an NEC MultiSync 22" CRT monitor on an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra graphics card, and I've update the drivers for both my monitor and card.

Thanks

If the same phot can be opened in another app and it's NOT desaturated then it wasn't desaturated in CS2... it's just displaying that way. Curious if you start with a new file are create some color strokes... are they also washed out? There are a few possibilities with the display we may want to check.

Has it always done this from the time you installed it?

~Dewey

There isnt anything wrong with the colour menu that i can see.... you may want to check the 'assign profile' menu.... make sure thats on adobe 1998 or sRGB...

If you can't locate the problem... you could try switching all the PS settings back to defult... that way if you did change anything by mistake, it will make sure you've covered all bases before you try anything else.

Nothing else springs to mind at the moment...

dewey said:
If the same phot can be opened in another app and it's NOT desaturated then it wasn't desaturated in CS2... it's just displaying that way.

Yes, I meant to say the the PSCS2 photos APPEAR desaturated, which is making it harder for me to do post processing.

dewey said:
Curious if you start with a new file are create some color strokes... are they also washed out?

HMMMM...I'll try that when I get home this evening.

dewey said:
There are a few possibilities with the display we may want to check.

Has it always done this from the time you installed it?

~Dewey

YES, from the very beginning...could it be a corrupt install?

Archangel said:
<snip>... you may want to check the 'assign profile' menu.... make sure thats on adobe 1998 or sRGB...

Where do I find the "Assign Profile" menu??

Archangel said:
If you can't locate the problem... you could try switching all the PS settings back to defult... <snip>

Already done (as stated in my original post).

Thanks for the input.

Well, I found the problem (other than I'm fu*king stupid).
I was under the (mis)assumption that Adobe Gamma was an automatic profiling script within PSCS2...not an actual program that you have to run through. I discovered this from someone on a Photoshop forum, so I ran through the Adobe Gamma Wizard calibration and —voilà!— immediate color improvement.

Here is the AFTER pic...

photoshop5.JPG

Still a tiny bit off, but WAY better than before...and definitely manageable. It will be even better once my Monaco Optix XR arrives.

Thanks for the input.
Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back