photoshop cs2 help!

Nix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok. so someone already did it for me in the photo critique forums and gave somewhat of an explanation but i am a complete beginner with photoshop and i do not understand his instructions. i took the shot at night and it was using a street light for illumination. only problem is that it gives everything a yellowish glow. ie the white car turned yellow thanks to the light... grr
wholecrew1.jpg

see what i mean? how the white car and everything else gets a yellow appearance? he did the one for me. but i want to know how to do it myself!

umm... maybe someone could tell you how to do this better than me, but i would suggest playing with curves a bit to see if that helps, or using the photo filter tool or levels, or channel mixer... sorry , i'm not that helpful..

Open the jpeg in cs2 then left click on image (just to the right of where it says file), then place your pointer on adjustments and a box will open to the side. Move you pointer on top of levels and left click on it.

Another box will come up and you will see 3 eyedroppers on the right hand side of that box. Left click on the dropper on the far right. This is your white picker. Position the pointer (it will now look like the dropper) over some part of the photo that is white (you may have to move it around a bit if you blow out your picture) and left click to make the selection. While you are there play around with the other two droppers (you might want to use another photo though).

mike
( I didn't know how serious you were about not knowing this so forgive me if the description is to simplistic)

thats a perfect description! thank you. i mean it... im photoshop stupid. first time ever having any type of photo editing software... up until now i was using ms paint...

thats a perfect description! thank you. i mean it... im photoshop stupid. first time ever having any type of photo editing software... up until now i was using ms paint...

Photoshop is a powerful and sometimes complicated program so you are not stupid just learning, don't be afraid to ask it's part of learning. Anyway what Mike said is correct. When he say's to try the other two eye droppers, you might specifically try the middle which is for mid-tones and click on a midtone area of your photo. Another suggestion is go to curves and you will see a drop down box at the top with RGB as the default, go to the color opposite the one you are trying to eliminate or reduce. For example in your case yellow is prevalent, so go to blue and grab the top of the graph and pull it to the left and it will add blue and reduce the yellow. Try it back and forth till you get the look you want. As a side note if the problem was too much blue then you would grab the graph at the bottom and slide it to the right to increase yellow. Finally try Variations although I do not recommend this method of color correcting , but you can and it does work somewhat. If you click on Variations (under adjustment), you will get a selection of photos that include current pick and the effect of more or less of a color as well as exposure and then you can make the correction. In my mind this is too simplistic and not the best way to do it. It is however handy to see visually what adding or subtracting a color will do and then once you see which way you need to go, you can cancel it and go to the above and previous mentioned techniques.

Nix there are many tutorials out there. Books, e-books, videos (my favorite) from many different authors. My advice is to ask people you know about what they have used and spend the money. There are some community collages that have courses in Photoshop as well.

The upshot is, the program is so huge and involved that you can spend years learning it and still not be done due to the upgrades. Pick a use for it and specialize to start. I'm finding that what I learn has application in other areas most of the time so it gets easier. (oh yeah, learn the keyboard commands)

mike

The upshot is, the program is so huge and involved that you can spend years learning it and still not be done due to the upgrades. Pick a use for it and specialize to start. I'm finding that what I learn has application in other areas most of the time so it gets easier. (oh yeah, learn the keyboard commands)

mike

That is as true as it gets! I have been using photoshop since 90's and i srtill find new tricks here and there.
My main use to this point is to edit pictures fixing scratches, blotches, pimples, bruises, fixing rust on old vehicles, seeing what a mod could look like on a car before i do it (as in tubbing one out, painting it, etc..). that kind of thing.

Years! and there is so many tutorials available for free. through the years photoshop has changed a bit, but there is still a lot of it that is the same. plugins from older versions usually still work. This program is awesome, and with skill and patience, you can bring a tear to someones eyes after restoring that old photo of their grandmother on a harley, transferring writing from the back to the front border, rebuilding the buildings and skyline on the left side. Basically a many hour job I did for someone last year. I will have to post before and afters in here tomorrow sometime.

Just have fun with it... I usually copy the picture im gona work on just incase of an accidental save to the original. afterall I do sometimes do some far fetched things to pictures to laugh... did that once, and accidently saved it to the original, losing that picture forever :( now i simply right click, drag it over, and hit copy.
Copy of Thepictureidontwanttolose.jpg and if you make 2 copies.
Copy(2) of Thepic.....

and if you dont learn anyhting else, learn the hotkeys as Mike E suggested. saves a lot of time. Dont even have to let go of the ctrl key if your doing a string of ctrl key assisted commands. hold it, then hit the corresponding keys in order.

Also make sure you play with tolerances on the fillers, selecters, the dropdown box, normal, dissolve etc.. filters. Hey, play with liquify in the Filter tab if you dont ever mess with another.. trust me, this will make you laugh.

Most reactions

Back